StarSan Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrangeDog

Reaction score
No - it's not about the foam.

I was wondering how long I can use a batch? For example - I need to take a sample for a gravity reading.

So can I make a 5 gallon batch of sanitizer for now and keep it til I need to sanitize the bottles in a few days? Will it "keep"?

Short answer yes.

It really depends on the the water you are using, tap water might last a few weeks if you don't have a lot of minerals, etc....

If you make it with distilled water, it will last longer.

A few days is no issue regardless.

get a small graduated cylinder and make small batches for a spray bottle...

32 oz in a spray bottle will go a long way and sanitize a lot of equipment.... :)

No - it's not about the foam.

I was wondering how long I can use a batch? For example - I need to take a sample for a gravity reading.

So can I make a 5 gallon batch of sanitizer for now and keep it til I need to sanitize the bottles in a few days? Will it "keep"?

As long as the pH stays below 3, you're good.

If it turns cloudy that's an indication that the pH may be bad.

If you make it with distilled water it'll last over a month at least.

If you make it with really hard water it can cloud up overnight.

If it turns cloudy that's an indication that the pH may be bad.

Yes and no. We have a thread floating around here somewhere where the whole cloudy = bad thing was debunked. As SumnerH said, it can get cloudy overnight with hard water. With really hard water, it can happen in minutes. My water is hard enough to break bones on (no diving!) but the pH still stays in the safe zone for several days.

The only real way to know is to buy some cheap litmus paper and test to ensure the pH remains below 3. I also cannot recommend strongly enough a spray bottle and some distilled water. Star San with distilled water will last almost indefinitely.

Back