SMASH question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellow70cooper

Reaction score
I was thinking for my next brew to use 10 lbs of golden promise with chinook hops. I was planning on toasting 2 lbs of the golden promise first, if I add local Japanese honey to the boil does that violate the smash principle? Just a question..

Well, yeah...Smashes are traditionally done to isolate one grain and one hop to see how they taste and work together...They are usually very Kiss-like, not altering too many variables. Usually for the first smash..nothing is done..no toasting...just straight grain and hop...then people may decide to alter it...but again keeping it simple, only one variable at a time...Maybe toasting the grain the next time...then maybe in your case , no toast, but with honey..

That way keeping it simple, and only altering ONE variable, you can see how that variable affects the product.

That's why some of us do our Smashes as 1 gallon or 2.5 gallon batches...

But of course it is your beer and you can do what you want with/to it, but if you are using the Smash for educational purposes...then not altering too many variables at once would be the way to go.

Back