Yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedicineMan

Reaction score
I am making my first wine from a caller craft kit with the grape skins. My question is should I make a yeast starter like I do with beer. If so is the process the same as beer and should I use some I the juice concentrate that comes with the kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Having only made one wine kit, I've never considered this. I'd be more concerned with fermentation temperature for attenuation. I suppose you could. I'm sure someone with more experience can chime in

I am making my first wine from a caller craft kit with the grape skins. My question is should I make a yeast starter like I do with beer. If so is the process the same as beer and should I use some I the juice concentrate that comes with the kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I made some apple wine and I just put the dry yeast in ontop, swrilled it abit and it kicked up after 3 days. My dad dose the same with his wine. Seems to work for me. Im not pro but I like to keep stuff simple so I don't have issues with contamination and stuff.

The advice I've been given/heard in regards to kits is to follow the directions exactly, until you've done a few kits. Once you know (supposedly) what your doing, then experiment. If the directions say to just hydrate, then just hydrate the yeast.

EDIT: stupid iPhone autocorrect...

No need for a starter, but I've come to prefer to hydrate the yeast per the yeast package instructions, rather than sprinkle it on dry like the wine kit instructions say.

I've sprinkled and hydrated, and fwiw, fermentation starts sooner with hydrated yeast.

Back