removing cold break from conical fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kobrau

Reaction score
How do you remove cold break from a conical fermentor? And when?

Shall I stir to create whirlpool?

Thanks

:confused:

I'm not sure I follow what whirlpooling would do for you. If you want to pull out the cold break, you could just give it long enough to settle and let it drop out your dump valve.

Why do you want to remove the cold break in the first place?

I just let it sit for a while (30 minutes or so) and then briefly open the bottom valve. It doesn't take long to drop the cold break. Then I pitch the yeast and seal the fermenter.

After primary fermentation, I'll drop the flocculated yeast as well. This usually is a bit slower than dumping cold break.

Thank you both. I will try that.

I have never removed cold break before, and my blond ales have been decent. Just was wondering how much of a difference cold break makes (specially now that I finally have a Fermenater).

I just let it sit for a while (30 minutes or so) and then briefly open the bottom valve. It doesn't take long to drop the cold break. Then I pitch the yeast and seal the fermenter.

After primary fermentation, I'll drop the flocculated yeast as well. This usually is a bit slower than dumping cold break.
What he said!

I just read on White Labs site that you should dump trub twice before harvesting yeast for re-use. Once initially and then once fermentation gets going- more trub and early-flocculating yeast you don't want will have dropped by then. Even after that, you should only take yeast from the middle of the yeast cone for best results/consistency. That may apply more to bigger brewers working with larger amounts of yeast, but it probably is good practice for homebrewers too.

Back