Batch 14 Journal : Cooper's English Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTownLiquorPig

Reaction score
I made this kit once last winter. I don't remember it, but my notes say I loved it. Put another one down last night, straight kit and kilo.

1.7 KG Cooper's English Bitter
1 KG Munton's Beer Enhancer
1 pack Nottingham

Pitch rehydrated yeast into 72 degree wort. 12 hours in no bubbles showing, temp down to 64 on sticky.

Start temp at low end & let rise is better than the other way round. Starting high & going low can cause the yeast to settle.
But Cooper's ale yeast is a bit cleaner at 64-66F. I did the English bitter can first time out with their 500g light DME box & 1oz Haulertaur hops. Great,crystal clear ale that goes great with pit bbq or roast beast.

Going to have to go a full 3 weeks in fermenter with this baby. I came down with the Chicken Pox yesterday, out of commision for a week it sounds like. Been laid up most of the last week with a stomach bug....

On the bright side, my pipeline is getting a break leading into Christmas!

I did a partial mash based off the Cooper's English Bitter kit. The recipe I followed is supposed to turn out as an English Special Bitter. Three weeks in the fermenter at 18C currently in the bottle a little over a week. Should be ready in time for Christmas.

I'm looking forward to it since the kit gets positive reviews but I'm wondering now if I shouldn't have made it up as per instructions just to get a baseline. If it turns out I don't like it I don't who to blame, the kit itself or me for screwing up the partial mash.

I did a partial mash based off the Cooper's English Bitter kit. The recipe I followed is supposed to turn out as an English Special Bitter. Three weeks in the fermenter at 18C currently in the bottle a little over a week. Should be ready in time for Christmas.

I'm looking forward to it since the kit gets positive reviews but I'm wondering now if I shouldn't have made it up as per instructions just to get a baseline. If it turns out I don't like it I don't who to blame, the kit itself or me for screwing up the partial mash.

You're golden, just blame the date on the can! I've never done a partial mash, but I've never been upset by one of my Cooper's kits either. You're likely in for a tasty beer no matter what.

What yeast do you use when you play with a Cooper's kit?

I took to using the 15g Cooper's ale yeast from either midwest or NB. It's a lot more yeast than even fermentis,etc,but fresher than the lil 7g ones in the Cooper's can's false lid.
Works virtually the same as US-05,but has that fruity ester that mingles well with citrusy hops. So if you want a cleaner flavor from a brew with something other than citrusy hops,the US-05 would be better. Or when a brewing a style where fruity esters would be out of style. Fruity esters are an English style atribute imo.

I like the fruitiness I've noticed in the couple Cooper's IPA's I've used with their yeasts. I try to use Notty in the winter though, my house drops pretty cold and I don't trust the Cooper's yeast at 58 degrees....

Yeah,def do not trust Cooper's yeast below 62F. I did a test on this late last winter,very earliest spring with cooper's yeast & wort I accidentally chilled down to like 54F. Stone dead til 62F,where it seemed to slowly come back to life. 64F,& it worked,but fermenting quite slowly. Workable as long as 64F can be maintained without going lower. 66F,& it's a bit more stable works at a more normal rate. So turning a bad circumstance into an opportunity to learn was a good thing. Gave some valuable real world info to share here!

Yeah,def do not trust Cooper's yeast below 62F. I did a test on this late last winter,very earliest spring with cooper's yeast & wort I accidentally chilled down to like 54F. Stone dead til 62F,where it seemed to slowly come back to life. 64F,& it worked,but fermenting quite slowly. Workable as long as 64F can be maintained without going lower. 66F,& it's a bit more stable works at a more normal rate. So turning a bad circumstance into an opportunity to learn was a good thing. Gave some valuable real world info to share here!

good to know I have been wondering what the bottom range is for coopers ale yeast its all I can get in town.

Latest posts

Back