Making the correct water profile for a Belgian style brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diverpat

Reaction score
In an attempt to confuse myself thoroughly, I've decided to attempt to make a specific water profile from scratch. I'm going to brew a New Belgium 1554 black ale clone and I'm attempting to match the water profile of Antwerp Belgium. I'm starting with deionized water and amending the mash and boil water with ingredient amounts derived from EZ Water Calculator Spreadsheet 2.0.

Now, I was able to get close in some aspects but had to stray from the values to keep the Cl:SO4 ratios in check. The whole water chemistry thing has been rather confusing but after playing around for a bit I'm hoping I have things correct. I'd like to get some experienced eyes to take a look at these numbers and give some input as to if things look OK. If not how can it be improved? Does anyone have a tried and true water recipe for a Belgian beer?

-------Antwerp-----My Profile
Ca---- 90 ----------93
Mg----11-----------10
Na-----37---------- 32
Cl----- 84-----------93
SO4----57 --------- 66
Water%20Profile.JPG

Huh, I knew that but...but...but...

It was based off of a recipe from Belgium so I figure Belgium water profile. Never thought about it being tweeked for CO. How about just for future reference, I'll have a true Belgium style coming down the pipes at some point.

Huh, I knew that but...but...but...

It was based off of a recipe from Belgium so I figure Belgium water profile. Never thought about it being tweeked for CO. How about just for future reference, I'll have a true Belgium style coming down the pipes at some point.

interesting, i didn't know it was based on a belgian recipe.

to me it drinks like a hoppy-er schwartzbier.

Here is an updated profile attempting to mimic Ft. Collins CO. Again, the Cl:SO4 ratio is similar but values are a bit high. A few elements fall below the programs recommended values so I'm guessing I should add to fall within acceptable values.

-----Ft Collins-----My Profile
Ca---- 17 ----------19
Mg----6-----------6
Na-----16---------- 20
Cl----- 35-----------47
SO4----16 --------- 24

water%20profile%20FT%20Collins%20CO.JPG

Back