Where to find High-temp (silicone, et al) O-rings or Gaskets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I found everything else I need for my weldless spigot, but this is stumping me. Not even the specialty plumbing supply stores have anything. Any thoughts? I'm trying to avoid having to order it online, because it's the last piece I need.

How far are you willing to drive?

Grainger Industrial supplies shows a location in Richmond (other websites refer to a location in Charlottesville). I can't find much information about either location but Grainger is similar to McMaster-Carr and should be able to hook you up if their local stores have it in stock.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/guideBrowse.shtml

I called grainger, the redneck whore on the line hung up on me before I could finish asking my question.

Abra, like I said, I'm trying to not have to order it online, because I already have everything else, and I don't wanna have to pay $5 in shipping for a $4 item. :D

I called grainger, the redneck whore on the line hung up on me before I could finish asking my question.

That sucks. How do you know she was a whore though? :D

I would imagine there are a few industrial suppliers in your area, but it'll probably take some time dealing with more poor customer service to find something. Good Luck!

There's a lot of stuff at mcmaster. Just look around their site and see. You know there's more than just orings you need...

Here's a thought for a gasket, depending on the size, but what about a high temp spatula? They are made from silicon and should have enough material for a spigot gasket. Not sure, but Wallyworld may even carry them.

Here's a thought for a gasket, depending on the size, but what about a high temp spatula? They are made from silicon and should have enough material for a spigot gasket. Not sure, but Wallyworld may even carry them.

Or Ikea if you have one local- probably cheaper (suprisingly!).

Good call, I'd forgot about high temp silicone pans. Those flexible silicone baking pans are pretty cheap and the material is good up to 500 degrees.

Good call, I'd forgot about high temp silicone pans. Those flexible silicone baking pans are pretty cheap and the material is good up to 500 degrees.

I was just going to amend my post, as I remember seeing those pans, or maybe it was a bubbly sheet for use as a counter-top protector.

I'm looking for these right now as well and found McMaster Carr part #9396K286, $9.70 for a pack of 25. They are the same red-orange color as the silicone o-rings found on most of the weldless bulkheads.

I measured my old o-rings (now 4 years old and flat) but I think these will come close.

damn, what a great idea...flexy baking forms. nice!

Luckily, though, springer just put some in the mail to me and they should be here Tuesday. Word!

I've seen red silicone cooking gear. Muffin pans, gloves, utensiles and what not. Try wally world. Then make your own gasket with an exacto-knive.

Have you gone to a auto parts place? I used to work at one that had rolls of DIY gasket material.

I'd think engine gaskets would do the job.

Sorry to trump you guys but the simplest and best way to make a silicone gasket is...................

A BABY BOTTLE NIPPLE. Tada!!

My cheap ass decided to use some of my pushrod tube gaskets and some red RTV for my build. Lord knows that my engine build will come MUCH later than my mash tun build :)

They worked like a champ (Thus far)
I think its a cool way of getting something out of my VW that was practical for something that it wasnt meant to do. (Unlike the other way around with my car normally)
-Me

Back