Just bottled first beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just bottled my first home brew ever and I am really excited. I do have a question, though. I filled each bottle about 2 inches from the top and I was wondering at what point I should worry about bottle bombs. This is a relatively low CO2 volume beer (I added enough priming sugar to make 2 CO2 volumes, taking into account residual CO2 from fermentation), so I don't think I should worry, but I just wanted to check here first. Thanks.

-AJ

Did you use a bottling wand? Two inches sounds like a lot of space and would be more worried about getting flat beer than bottle bombs.

No, I didn't use a bottling wand. I read a thread earlier where the brewer said he filled the bottles 2-3 inches from the top and it came out very well carbonated. But after reading the section on bottling in "How to Brew", Mr. Palmer recommended 3/4 in. from the top. I guess we will have to wait until tasting time (two weeks from now) to tell. Thanks.

-AJ

No, I didn't use a bottling wand. I read a thread earlier where the brewer said he filled the bottles 2-3 inches from the top and it came out very well carbonated. But after reading the section on bottling in "How to Brew", Mr. Palmer recommended 3/4 in. from the top. I guess we will have to wait until tasting time (two weeks from now) to tell. Thanks.

-AJ

Usually, 3/4 inch to 1 inch headspace is perfect- just like in commercial bottled beer.

Back