Carared question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
Is it a substitute for certain crystal addition in reds, ambers, etc? Or is it generally used in addition to?

I would think substitute for. I believe it's like caramunich or carapils, just a German caramel malt.

It's only 20L. That makes it a fairly light crystal malt.

If you're AG or partial mashing, what I love in red/amber ales is munich and/or some melanoidin malt. Lots of great malt flavor, really nice color, and they don't add an overwhelming amount of sweetness.

So the CaraRed is pretty sweet?
I was just noticing it on Morebeer.com's grain list, but they don't provide much info about it.

I'll be honest, I've never used it, but all the info I'm finding points to it being basically a crystal malt. I'd use it in accordance with those guidelines - don't add any more than you would add of something like Crystal 20L or 40L.

haven't used it but haven't heard great things about it.

like the bird said, munich malt will add some red color. that along with small amount of roasted barley and dark crystal malt (120L or so) work well in my irish red ales. i like the maltiness from the munich as well, and melanoiden malt isn't a bad idea.

Latest posts

Back