Choosing A Conical Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is your pressure relief valve set to? I was just wondering how you are able to know how much CO2 is being produced during fermentation to make sure you end up with the right amount of CO2 in your beer at the end.

The one I use is not adjustable it is automatic pressure relief @ 15 PSI and vaccumm relief @ 1.5 PSI. I use it to pressure carbonate and it works well. I have a valve on the blow off and after primary fermentation settles down I close it replace hose with pressure gage and let it go. I can watch the gauge steady go up after a a few days and know all is good. Saves time and money and transfer carbonated beer right to kegs. I remove the gage from and attach CO2 to push beer directly into kegs. My wort/beer never touches oxegen after it leaves the oxygen injection from the boil kettle. Thats the main reason I purchased the Glacier tanks for the versitillity. I use them as fermenters and bright tanks. I usually only have one batch going at a time and have a 6" carbonation stone I can use to carbonate to desired volume if I do not get to where I like with the pressurized fermentation.

Here is a picture of the valve I use.

Pressure Reief.jpg

My main question to you guys. I have nothing against making this amazing setup, it looks amazing and I would love to have it, but what the heck are you guys planning on doing with 30 gallons of beer? I understand it's cool and all, and I'm new to the game, but unless you're selling it legitimately on a microbrew level type company, that's just such a huge volume. I don't know what I would do with it it or how to get rid of it. I just made my first couple 5 gallon batches and my first instinct is "man, this is a blast and it tastes amazing, time to make another one!" but I have no idea what to do or how to get rid of all this beer lol.

I just don't see the sense in having the ability to make 25+ gallons in one batch useful unless you're selling it.

OakPond said:
My main question to you guys. I have nothing against making this amazing setup, it looks amazing and I would love to have it, but what the heck are you guys planning on doing with 30 gallons of beer? I understand it's cool and all, and I'm new to the game, but unless you're selling it legitimately on a microbrew level type company, that's just such a huge volume. I don't know what I would do with it it or how to get rid of it. I just made my first couple 5 gallon batches and my first instinct is "man, this is a blast and it tastes amazing, time to make another one!" but I have no idea what to do or how to get rid of all this beer lol. I just don't see the sense in having the ability to make 25+ gallons in one batch useful unless you're selling it.

Sounds like you need more friends to help you drink it :). The main reason I went bigger was because I brew the same few beers frequently during the Winter months and brewing big allows me to brew less often and can get through the summer.

Me too, I live on the way to the golf course where a bunch of my friends play. They stop to have 2 or 3 before they go play. I had to go to 15 gallon batches on the beers my friends like. Didn't have to I guess, but I for one get the larger size. :mug:
Thought about the Brewhemoth deal, the Glacier tank looks too good. Well thought out piece I must say.

My main question to you guys. I have nothing against making this amazing setup, it looks amazing and I would love to have it, but what the heck are you guys planning on doing with 30 gallons of beer? I understand it's cool and all, and I'm new to the game, but unless you're selling it legitimately on a microbrew level type company, that's just such a huge volume. I don't know what I would do with it it or how to get rid of it. I just made my first couple 5 gallon batches and my first instinct is "man, this is a blast and it tastes amazing, time to make another one!" but I have no idea what to do or how to get rid of all this beer lol.

I just don't see the sense in having the ability to make 25+ gallons in one batch useful unless you're selling it.

For me it's easy, busy all the time and not enough time to brew. I have two year old triplets at home and stationed on an Aircraft Carrier so my time at home is valueable and usually dedicated to family/honey-do-list or getting some rest in between 12-16 hour days. I am just getting back into it after a 2 year hiatus where I made 15 gallons total, I want to brew enough at once where it will last in between brewdays.

williamssvg said:
I want to hopefully get everything done in the conical if possible. Since the Glacier conicals are rated upwards of 15PSI I figured it was to allow you to save the CO2 from fermentation to naturally carbonate the beer. Has anyone been successful in doing this?

I do this all the time with my 60g glacier tanks.

I bought the single wall and then welded in a cooling coil in the lid. They work great and were relatively inexpensive as well as being overall really good people to do business with.

image-591558245.jpg

To those with the glacier tanks carbing in the tank with a carbonation stone, how long does it take to get your desired volumes of co2 using the stone?

bluelakebrewing said:
To those with the glacier tanks carbing in the tank with a carbonation stone, how long does it take to get your desired volumes of co2 using the stone?
I'll try to answer your question but there are a lot if variables to consider including, volume of beer to carbonate, temperature, gravity, and pressure of CO2 etc.. I naturally carbonate by closing the fermenter at 50-75% and let the natural CO2 produced during fermentation carbonate the beer. If it's not carbonated to the level I prefer I transfer to the other fermenter and force carbonate with a 6" stone inserted in the bottom of the fermenter with the CO2 set at 12PSI and cooled to 34 degrees. This is my process for Lagers that make up the majority of what I brew. Generally speaking it is much faster to carbonate in my Glacier fermenter with the stone in the bottom verses in corney kegs. Hope that helps..

Brewers Hardware in now making jacketed home brew size conicals too.

http://www.brewershardware.com/

Yeah, the OP should definitely update the first post with some of the newer options out there. I've used the non-jacketed Brewers Hardware conical for a couple of batches, and it is quite a piece of hardware. You can get it jacketed and non-jacketed, and in a range of sizes from 15 gallon to 42 gallon.

What am I missing in the 7 gallon conical size when I'm looking at the Stout Tanks at $329-$479 versus the $795 from Glacier tanks?

Is it the size? It looks like the Glacier tanks are much more narrow.

It also looks like the Glacier tanks already comes with a butterfly valve.

What am I missing in the 7 gallon conical size when I'm looking at the Stout Tanks at $329-$479 versus the $795 from Glacier tanks?

Glacier doesn't do much of the small stuff, they mostly cater to profession breweries hence the expense is higher as they can't pack a shipping container full of them and move them....

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah, the OP should definitely update the first post with some of the newer options out there. I've used the non-jacketed Brewers Hardware conical for a couple of batches, and it is quite a piece of hardware. You can get it jacketed and non-jacketed, and in a range of sizes from 15 gallon to 42 gallon.

For some reason the thread is locked and I cannot go back and edit previous post.

I will look into it further and update the list on the first page if I get opened back up.

The Glacier tanks are built very well and come with all hardware needed to use. They do specialize in larger tanks and not much value in the smaller ones. For $300.00 more you can get a 25 gallon. Their 7 gallon conical is a little high priced but is like a piece of art that should be displayed.:)

The Glacier tanks are built very well and come with all hardware needed to use. They do specialize in larger tanks and not much value in the smaller ones. For $300.00 more you can get a 25 gallon. Their 7 gallon conical is a little high priced but is like a piece of art that should be displayed.:)

Agreed, I love my twins and bright!ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395936761.138818.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1395937006.989026.jpg

Agreed, I love my twins and bright!View attachment 188839View attachment 188840

Sweet, Have you put the brite tank to work yet? Thats one pretty tank! How do you plan to chill it. Just curious why you chose to use a chiller/coil combo to cool your fermenters verses a chamber? How is it working out? I initially considered that option and decided the chambers would suit me better and actually cost much less. I worried in my unconditioned shop I would get big temp variations due to surface warming in the summer. I also installed a second heat circuit for d-rest in each chamber. I use a dedicated BCS to control my fermentation schedule and works really good.

MaxOut Brewstat

Sweet, Have you put the brite tank to work yet? Thats one pretty tank! How do you plan to chill it. Just curious why you chose to use a chiller/coil combo to cool your fermenters verses a chamber? How is it working out? I initially considered that option and decided the chambers would suit me better and actually cost much less. I worried in my unconditioned shop I would get big temp variations due to surface warming in the summer. I also installed a second heat circuit for d-rest in each chamber. I use a dedicated BCS to control my fermentation schedule and works really good.

MaxOut Brewstat

Yes sir, it has about 12g left in it of a 40g batch of continuously hopped IPA. I built a 5x8 coldroom in the garage where the bright lives. Originally I was planning on having my unitanks on wheels and keeping the garage at a set temp through an external AC unit but that was insane. I tested out the coil approach and found that once temps stabilized they work great and can crash down to 40 in an 80 degree garage! It's a little extra cleanup but not too bad and fantastic results!

Can anyone help? Stout tanks list their 40g conical as able to be pressurized to 4 psi. But Ive seen people post that they bought them due to the fact they will hold 15 psi. Any comments?

I love brewers hardwares 30g, but Idk if they will fit in an upright freezer or not... I can "complete" (relative, I know, right?) my brewhaus for literally half the cost going with three freezers, controller(s) and three stout conicals, than three BH jacketed conicals, and building my own heat/cool system.

Help?

Also, does anybody have the specs on BH 30g non jacketed conicals? I emailed, but haven't had a response yet

If I'm looking at a larger volume conical, I would have to look at Glacier. what I like is the ability to pressurize. The ability to use a spunding valve would be a must. Not saying anything against any of the other brands, but Glacier has too many positives. The only downfall is freight from what I hear.

If I'm looking at a larger volume conical, I would have to look at Glacier. what I like is the ability to pressurize. The ability to use a spunding valve would be a must. Not saying anything against any of the other brands, but Glacier has too many positives. The only downfall is freight from what I hear.

My issue is finding the balance in setup cost. I love the looks/features of Glacier, but they are $3k each, w/o freight, and without any temp control....

I hear you on the cost. I've been over this search a thousand times, even looked at plastic. In the end, I'm going to fabricate my own. The 24" diameter components from Toledo make it doable. I can put together the hopper, extension, and tank head like Glacier for just over 1K each. Excluding my labor of course. I would like to have 4 conicals, so this will be the only way I can afford them. I'm going the Mrcb, coil, way of temp control. Would love jacketed and all, but man out of my price tag. Almost no other cost effective way to do it when shopping stainless conicals.

Ya exactly. Like I said, Glacier looks awesome, and I really love BH conicals too. Even with BH, jacketed, I'm looking at 10k minimum for it all (by the time I build temp control etc) plus freight.

Stout, I can go three 40g, plus freezers, plus either a BCS or PID control, for 5-6. Still a lot of cash, but a lot closer in reach.

But the question still remains about pressurizing. Or will non jacketed BH 30's fit in a frigidaire 20.5 CF.....

oh the conundrums of brewing. lol!

I'm confident that at 20" x 50" the BH 30 will fit in the 20.5.
I never really looked at the BH conical because of looking at larger volumes. They have all the options that Glacier has. Plus it would be easy to add custom fittings to separate lids if you wanted. I like it!

Lol I scoured that website numerous times and never saw the dimensions. Thanks for pointing it out! Now I see it.

BH is working on getting them pressure certified. But based on their construction, they are definitely able to hold 15 psi

I'm running two of 'Americanhomebrewings' tanks, which I believe are a mix of Toledo Metal Spinnings conical hoppers and asian import leg kits and valves.

The price was right for two, and so far I've been extremely happy with them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOMEBREW-CO...686?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c7ac8b5e

Just thought since someone else resurrected this thread already that I would mention these are no longer the same conicals that are made by toledo and were the same as spike brewing sells.

I bought one last week and received it in like 4 days, they are Americanhomebrewer now has these made in china. the price has gone down to about $300 for the 12.5 gallon conical.

I now have one of these and a stout 12.5 and a side by side comparision shows the stouts fit and finish is superior. the welds are much cleaner and the whole stout unit is polished (which is not important really)
but for the price the american homebrewing conicals are a good value and I would buy more.

The one thing I dont care for is the, Well, shady approach the seller is using though since he went from American made conicals to these he has removed mention of them being made in the usa but still has all the pics of the toledo metal spinning fabrication of the units with Americans making them which is intentionally deceiving buyers... He knows this as I had even messaged him about it. He also still talks about their special exclusive welding process (which was toledos method) of producing rust free welds.

I dont blame a guy for wanting to make money but at the prices he is selling them for he doesnt have to mislead his buyers...

I did start another thread about it last week and as you can see he had me fooled on where and who makes them.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7088555#post7088555

The really odd thing about the link hunter posted is the pictured conical in that listing WAS THE CHINESE MADE conical yet the description clearly shows and states oit was american made in toledo? the ones he sold that were made my Toledo looked different and where identical to spikes... as other other listings showed. So it appears he was selling the chinese ones as american made ones at least for a while... BTW The tanks on these being polished as well as the welds indicate they also come from china.

Careful of the height of the pedestal you are placing yourself on. The first step off is a doozy.

Most of your post seem to be about authoritative positions on varied topics, and consumerism.

It just seems as if you have some cross to bear.

Careful of the height of the pedestal you are placing yourself on. The first step off is a doozy.

Most of your post seem to be about authoritative positions on varied topics, and consumerism.

Huh??? Dude posts tons of valuable information. Sounds more like you have a beef with him.

Just what did I say that put myself on a pedestal?

That I think its dishonest that a retailer show pictures of a different american product being made than the foreign one hes actually selling in the same ad?

Dont you?

I'm sorry but thats totally how I feel... I was honest about everything I said including that I would likely still buy another from him since he was honest with me when I messaged him about it. I dont know how you make your living but I sleep pretty easy at night... I Do see a lot of shady things when it comes to a lot of todays "consumerism" and I speak my mind about. More people who know how things are done should it might help the situation.
I am opinionated for sure but thats how I feel... Nobody is forcing you to agree with me but many people do.
Sorry but I like to do my homework on purchases and try help other here out when I do discover something that can help them out.

I do believe you were doing the same thing here No?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=543320

Huh??? Dude posts tons of valuable information. Sounds more like you have a beef with him.
Thanks!

I think it was because of a comment I made about a peltier cooler costing a lot more than the sum of its components... For some reason he made a comment indicating I had no idea how much it costs to make. The thing Is I did since I had bought components to make one myself and have researched similiar devices sold for aquariums sold for well less than half of what they were asking . Plus I read an actual thread here earlier talking about how if you randomly clicked on the same web page the price was drastically changing for a while for that product since they were taking preorders and trying to gauge what the best price point to sell it would be.

In other words I was no stranger to the product and made a point of it. I honestly didnt mean to piss anyone off...

We all know what an argument on the Internet is.

I, and I suspect augie, have no interest in personal disputes. I have no beef save this.

I am one of those guys (not in any brew related field) who has risk everything he owns, including mortgaging his house, his retirement funds, his wife's assets his kids assets, all to own and operate a small business.
Over the last 30 years I have imported a great variety of products from China, and built 100 x that many here in the USA. Things are rarely as cut and dried as they appear.

My caution is that saying things as facts, when in fact they are opinions can have a real negative effect on actual businesses who have done the things I listed above. I am not only talking about this thread, but all the threads where I have read similar post.

I appreciate your perspective, I hope you can appreciate mine.

Nice review Augie. Another damn one to think about. I'll probably wind up going with the short Stouts I can pickup locally, but the price point on those is very nice.

I, and I suspect augie, have no interest in personal disputes. I have no beef save this.

I am one of those guys (not in any brew related field) who has risk everything he owns, including mortgaging his house, his retirement funds, his wife's assets his kids assets, all to own and operate a small business.
Over the last 30 years I have imported a great variety of products from China, and built 100 x that many here in the USA. Things are rarely as cut and dried as they appear.

My caution is that saying things as facts, when in fact they are opinions can have a real negative effect on actual businesses who have done the things I listed above. I am not only talking about this thread, but all the threads where I have read similar post.

point made. That aside, everything I said in this thread was based on facts. I spoke with the seller since I bought and own one and he told in not so many words me he used to buy and sell american ones from toledo metal spinning who makes the spike and blichmann as well as other conicals but it got too expensive so now he gets them from overseas. Spike told me the same thing in the other thread since he still sells the ones american homebrewer used to sell and most of his feedback is based upon..... His pictures in his current ads are from the old american ones he used to sell 8 plus months ago. This and his description still insinuates that he makes them in the states which is simply not true...
Honesty should not be something for any business owner big or small to make excuses about. . I buy tons of overseas goods and repair overseas equipment every day. I never need to be dishonest about it. (I dont always have to be happy or content with it either) Maybe im in a better position to say that but I would never make a good business owner If I didnt believe it and I have had the same customers for 18 years now without having to cheat anyone. Granted I dont own the business but I manage a big territory and treat my customers and My employers money like I do. 8 employer buyouts later there has to be a reason I'm still around doing the same job and dealing with the same customers I have since I was 19.

I can only speak from my experiences though so...

Nice review Augie. Another damn one to think about. I'll probably wind up going with the short Stouts I can pickup locally, but the price point on those is very nice.
I cant speak for all the owners with pics of bad stout welds and patches welded in but the one stout 12.5 gallon conical I have is damn near perfect as far as surface finish and clean welds. I have no doubt the new AHB one I just bought wont work just as well though for as you said much less $$ and thats the bottom line for many of us as long as it works well.

I cant speak for all the owners with pics of bad stout welds and patches welded in but the one stout 12.5 gallon conical I have is damn near perfect as far as surface finish and clean welds. I have no doubt the new AHB one I just bought wont work just as well though for as you said much less $$ and thats the bottom line for many of us as long as it works well.

Yeah for sure. There are a lot of good cheaper options out there these days. This, the Chronical etc.

I have a great deal of respect for anyone who has done what you have in putting your entire future on the line to own a small business. Folks like you are the life blood of this country's economy. Having said that, and having read your posts (only in this thread) I still don't understand the point of your snarky post directed at augie. If you take issue with something he said, why not come right out and say what that is? THAT would add to the discussion and be of assitance to others like myself who might be considering any of the conical products being discussed here. As opposed to a direct attack on a writer who is describing his personal experience in great detail, and in an apparent effort to inform other brewers. Your comment came across as hurtful, rather than helpful, and for no obvious reason.

I have a great deal of respect for anyone who has done what you have in putting your entire future on the line to own a small business. Folks like you are the life blood of this country's economy. Having said that, and having read your posts (only in this thread) I still don't understand the point of your snarky post directed at augie. If you take issue with something he said, why not come right out and say what that is? THAT would add to the discussion and be of assitance to others like myself who might be considering any of the conical products being discussed here. As opposed to a direct attack on a writer who is describing his personal experience in great detail, and in an apparent effort to inform other brewers. Your comment came across as hurtful, rather than helpful, and for no obvious reason.
It ok, I actually think I know what hes saying. I tend to go overboard because I'm so opinionated And I am fairly cynical when it comes to marketing and the politics involved which rubs some folks the wrong way.

Back