pot meta ppm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honda88

Reaction score
I just did a second round of racking and pot meta and I was just wondering does anyone know how much pot meta is in welch's grape juice originally? not counting the pot meta in the juice i should have 200 ppm now which is about a 100ppm below the commercial law(not that i care anyways as a homebrewer the law doesnt apply). does the pot meta from the juice get fermented out or does it stay in the wine from start to finish??

I was told that the preservatives from the commercial concentrate provide enough coverage at the initiation of your wine & are essentially gone by the time you are ready to move to airlock. If I am making a wine from a commercial product from grocery store that contains preservatives I do not even dose my must/wine with k-meta until I transfer from primary bucket to my carboy/airlock (and that is when the SG has decreased by two-thirds).

The amount in each batch of concentrate is variable and the company has a range in which they must fall in order to be "legal and safe" for distribution---no batch is the same. (Used to have know someone who worked in that business).

It would be great if someone who has access to SO2 testing equipment could actually tell us how much SO2 is in a 1 gallon batch using 3 cans/gallon...at the start of the ferment and then when the SG has dropped by 2/3, or whatever point they deem appropriate.

i did not dose it until after primary fermentation, I should be okay then because im already under the commercial limit...

i did not dose it until after primary fermentation, I should be okay then because im already under the commercial limit...

Remember that sulfites dissipate, that's why they are re-added. If you add one campden tablet per gallon at every other racking, that should approximate 50 ppm.

Latest posts

Back