So I maybe a little impatient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaneoco1981

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I found this recipe here and thought it looked like the exact thing I was looking for.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/chocolate-coffee-stout-299214/

I went a head and bought the ingredients with out reading the whole recipe. I didn't read that it was a recipe for an 8.5 gallon batch and not a 5 gallon batch. My question is what to do? I am tempted to take it all and turn it into an Imperial Stout and then let it sit. I could also make 8.5 gallons as the recipe calls for, but then my ? becomes, how do I ferment it? Can I split it evenly between 2 - 6 gallon carboys without worrying about having to much head space? Thoughts? Pros and cons of going with the Imperial Stout route? I am leaning towards going with the Imperial route, but I am not sure how it will go or what to expect?

Just cut it down to 6 or 5, whatever fits in your carboy, and store the other grain for another brew. If you put it in tupperware or something pretty airtight it'll last a long while.

You can split it with no issue, the yeast will push the oxygen out when they start to ferment, so the stuff that would cause your beer to go bad will be fine. Also the extra head space will be nice so you have less chance of an overflow.

If you can boil that much volume, I'd say go for it and split the batch between the two fermenters. You could even try experimenting with one of them - different yeast, adding oak, fruit, etc.

Back