Anybody know a good bud light clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HolidayIF1488

Reaction score
A good friend of mine told me if I could clone BL he would not only start drinking home brew exclusively,he would have me educate him in this fine art. I on the other hand come from a long line of brewers and do not care much for BMC. I mostly use family recipes,but being such a good friend feel I should humor him,and I thought for sure my good friends here on HBT would be able to lend a helping hand with a recipe or two. So can anyone help me out here?

You probably can't make a BL clone for what you pay for it in the store, when you take into account equipment costs and the time involved in making it.

I would say no-thanks and keep on doing what you are doing.

7 lbs 6-row
1.5 lbs flaked rice.

Mash low, say 149-150.

Boil for 90 mins, with one bittering hop addition. .5-1 oz. of Hallertau at 60 mins.

Ferment with a clean lager yeast, proper pitching rates and temperature blah blah blah.

Err on the low side for the hops and this should get you close. Substitute corn for the rice and BOOM you have Miller Lite.

Well, here are two starting points:
BeerTools.com Recipe Library - Tim's Bud Light Clone
TastyBrew.com | Recipes

I've wanted to make a light session beer myself, not trying to clone bud light, but something along the lines of some of the milds I've done, but even lighter and higher carbonation. I've got something like 20 pounds of basmati rice tempting me in the cupboard. I've eyed this recipe a bit and is something I want to try...
Basmati Pale Ale

You probably can't make a BL clone for what you pay for it in the store, when you take into account equipment costs and the time involved in making it.

Andrewtherooster said:
1. Brew a pilsner.
2. Fill a glass halfway with water.
3. Fill the rest of the way with said pilsner.

Voila! A Bud Light clone.

And heads up, you are going to get A LOT of posts like these.

broadbill said:

Haha,good thinking,but I have already committed myself. Cost is a non-issue though and I have plenty of extra equipment to give or share. I always love to turn others to home brewing. More of us to help out the smaller breweries and ourselves against the commercialized BS of the big three BMC,and create REAL beers with flavor,aroma and character.

Andrewtherooster said:
1. Brew a pilsner.

HAHaha!

Cambone said:
And heads up, you are going to get A LOT of posts like these.

I knew that when I posted it. I feel the same way that's why I don't already have a recipe.

Cambone said:
7 lbs 6-row
1.5 lbs flaked rice.

Mash low, say 149-150.

Boil for 90 mins, with one bittering hop addition. .5-1 oz. of Hallertau at 60 mins.

Ferment with a clean lager yeast, proper pitching rates and temperature blah blah blah.

Err on the low side for the hops and this should get you close. Substitute corn for the rice and BOOM you have Miller Lite.

Very much appreciated. I will let you know how close I get. Of corse I'll have to go get a BL and see what it tastes like to compare.

More of us to help out the smaller breweries and ourselves against the commercialized BS of the big three BMC,and create REAL beers with flavor,aroma and character.

I hate to break it to you but Bud light IS a "real" beer, whether you want to acknowledge the fact or not. When you struggle with cloning it, and if you ever master it, you'll maybe appreciate that it's one of the most difficult beers to brew. Since EVERY flaw in it is perceivable.

And also a lot of folks on here think beer is beer, and ALL beer is good, whether we choose to drink it or not. We acknowledge the history of those big breweries, and understand that without the contributions of the Busch's, the Miller and Coor's family and all those early brewers which STILL managed to survive prohibition, we would not have the craft industry that we enjoy today.

You actually will be surprised how few folks actually agree with you, and how many will turn their noses down at bud bashing threads.

You might find this thread enlightening......

bighorn_brew said:
Well, here are two starting points:
BeerTools.com Recipe Library - Tim's Bud Light Clone
TastyBrew.com | Recipes

I've wanted to make a light session beer myself, not trying to clone bud light, but something along the lines of some of the milds I've done, but even lighter and higher carbonation. I've got something like 20 pounds of basmati rice tempting me in the cupboard. I've eyed this recipe a bit and is something I want to try...
Basmati Pale Ale

I think I'll give that one a shot too. Let you know how it comes out.

I hate to break it to you but Bud light IS a "real" beer, whether you want to acknowledge the fact or not. When you struggle with cloning it, and if you ever master it, you'll maybe appreciate that it's one of the most difficult beers to brew. Since EVERY flaw in it is perceivable.

And also a lot of folks on here think beer is beer, and ALL beer is good, whether we choose to drink it or not. We acknowledge the history of those big breweries, and understand that without the contributions of the Busch's, the Miller and Coor's family and all those early brewers which STILL managed to survive prohibition, we would not have the craft industry that we enjoy today.

You actually will be surprised how few folks actually agree with you, and how many will turn their noses down at bud bashing threads.

+1, I'm a long way from a "beer snob", probably never going to brew whole grain, and I have never really drank a BMC by choice (I used to drink Stroh's when I was a kid because they came in 6 packs and I could joke that I was drinking a pair of s'hortS before I went to the bar). But I LIKE BEER! There is a place for all beer, just because the taste doesn't suit me doesn't make it unsuitable for somebody else.

It's like music really. I like what I like, you like what you like. If you don't get why I don't like it I don't lose sleep, and you shouldn't worry about my choice either.

The disheartening thing about this forum for me, as a new brewer, is how quickly the "learned" pounce on the average joe who wants to have fun and experiment with something they like: beer. We all come to this site for the same reason, whether we want to brew a cheap kit and kilo or try to match a recipe for some obscure small brewery brew we had once on a vacation through Belgium.

Hahahaha! Why can't we all just get along? :mug::ban:

Revvy said:

I'm sorry you mistook that as "Bud bashing". I am a fan of bud. Not bud light, Or any light beer for that matter. I'm also not a fan of crushing the hopes and dreams of the small American brewer just because you are greedy and have the money to. All beer is good,but I am entitled to my opinion and I very much respect yours. With that said if you want to drink BMC why home brew? I'm not denying BMC are good beers just not a fan of corporate cutthroats. IMHO most light beer(bud light) is lacking in character and aroma. So when I say "Real beer" it has nothing to do with the label or the brewer. As far as how many people agree with me, I could care less. Just like you I want to make great beer and have a good time doing it. You can't change my opinions but you can help me to become a better brewer,and that's why I got on here is to learn from others and to share what I know.

7 lbs 6-row

I doubt it, Miller light is full of stablizers, food coloring and preservatives. Plus it's drier than other light beers so I'm sure there's some sort of sugar addition. Or maybe it's dried out with enzymes after fermentation?

dmckean44 said:
I doubt it, Miller light is full of stablizers, food coloring and preservatives. Plus it's drier than other light beers so I'm sure there's some sort of sugar addition. Or maybe it's dried out with enzymes after fermentation?

Corn sugar or syrup maybe?

It's brewed by a computer, and just monitored by the brewer. I know you hate when people bash it, but it's industrialized swill. McDonalds can reproduce their crap in any of their locations all around the world. A feat no less difficult. A technological marvel maybe, but it doesn't make McDonalds good food, and it doesn't make Bud good beer.

Mongrel said:
It's brewed by a computer, and just monitored by the brewer. I know you hate when people bash it, but it's industrialized swill. McDonalds can reproduce their crap in any of their locations all around the world. A feat no less difficult. A technological marvel maybe, but it doesn't make McDonalds good food, and it doesn't make Bud good beer.

+1

If someone likes X-Light, good for them. I don't really care. My problem is with people who aren't at all willing to try anything different. I frequent a bar that features 60 beers on tap and 300+ in bottles. Yet, there are groups of people, most often Marines, who come in and order a bunch of Bud Light. The only reason they're there is to chase stupid townies and college girls who don't know any better.

While I do dislike the beer and some of the business practices, I accept its existence and the fact that people drink it. It has it's place. So does craft beer. And, if you're in a place that specializes in craft beer, I will judge you if you order a mass produced light lager.

Now, as for a homebrewed light lager, I'd advise not trying to replicate BMC Light. It's cheap enough. Put a twist on it of some sort.

First time user but wanted to post on the BL clone..... A posting a long time ago a guy said "why would you clone that junk?"....

:ban:

Didn't know about the additives, whats your source?

I highly doubt sugar, but I just assumed they used some enzyme, Amylase most likely to dry out the beer.

*EDIT* If there is food coloring in that beer [Miller Lite] it must be one drop per 100 barrels!

1. Brew a pilsner.

Totally agree.. I've been doing it in kegs too for the beach etc.. you'd be surprised how close it is.. Even Edwort's Haus Pale Ale is BMCish diluted to 4%.

You can look up calculators online to find out how to dilute it to hit an ABV target.

It's brewed by a computer, and just monitored by the brewer. I

Gee, have you noticed there's an ENTIRE section on here about brewing with computers. There's a LOT of homebrewers on here are pretty much doing the exact same thing....and trying to have repeatable results.

And you really don't think any craft breweries have similar computerized systems????

God, the absolute naivety of the newly converted zealot. :rolleyes:

Hey Tim,, have you experimented with other yeast strains?
I swear, I pick up on a ever so slight fruity finish in bud light...no perceptual fruity aroma, just finish, mostly on sides of my tongue...

This my recipe and will get you very close the tricky part is getting it to completely ferment out all the way to 1.010 if you don't the beer will be to sweet.

Also check out my blog on this exact subject...
New Brewers Beware!! - Home Brew Forums

You can PM me if you have any questions.

Tim

Edit: I knew I wasn't completely crazy...
YEAST STRAIN: 2000 | Budvar Lager™

Back to Yeast Strain List

The Budvar strain has a nice malty nose with subtle fruit tones and a rich malt profile on the palate. It finishes malty but dry, well balanced and crisp. Hop character comes through in the finish.

Origin:
Flocculation: Medium-High
Attenuation: 71-75%
Temperature Range: 48-56F, 9-13C
Alcohol Tolerance: 9% ABV

Styles:
Bohemian Pilsner
Classic American Pilsner
Dortmunder Export
Lite American Lager

Actually lately when i do this i harvest and grow yeast from a Budweiser.

The beer is not filtered and does still contain yeast.
And is the same strain used in Bud Light.

Also i recently did a similar recipe using Brewferm Lager yeast and was very impressed
with this strain.

Tim

Gee, have you noticed there's an ENTIRE section on here about brewing with computers. There's a LOT of homebrewers on here are pretty much doing the exact same thing....and trying to have repeatable results.

And you really don't think any craft breweries have similar computerized systems????

For some reason people automatically equate computers with bad beer. Tell that to Dogfish Head and Stone, and countless other breweries. Beer is awesome, all of it. Even Colt 45.

This kind of snobbery belongs on a wine forum

Hey Tim,, have you experimented with other yeast strains?
I swear, I pick up on a ever so slight fruity finish in bud light...no perceptual fruity aroma, just finish, mostly on sides of my tongue...
What your experiencing is simple vanilla flavoring
that is added instead of flavoring hops.

Take a big smell of a bottled bud light and you will smell it,
Trust me it's there.

Tim

The real difference in the light American lager/pilsner beers is the hop variety used. AB is notorious for Galena and Willamette hops.

What I would do is not waste time on this forum and call Mitch from Stone Brewing. He brewed for AB's New Hampshire brewery and has been very open with AB's process and ingredients, since they don't have a policy on secrecy.

Isn't there a recipe for yellow fizzy beer in the light hybrid recipe section. Cream of three crops comes to mind and those are probably 100x better than any butt light clone.

Not even comparable. Show me a home system where you can select your current brew on your laptop, and the grain starts moving from the silo...

I've had a few chances to look into the computer system at Deschutes, last night being the most recent. It's part of the scale of things. There are only a couple of valves the brewer has to open by hand, and they still have to do their kettle salt and hop additions when the computer tells them it's time.

Whatever dude, our opinions simply differ on this subject.

Revvy said:

I'd say there's a difference between repeating something that is artfully crafted and something that is designed to appeal to the most people by having the least flavor. It's a product that's been made exactly the same way for however long it's been around. The craft and skill has long since ceased being a factor.

I'd also like to point out that, while others bash a bear they don't enjoy, you are bashing the people who dare share an opinion other than your own. The comment about naivety and zealot's was unnecessary for this conversation and exhibits a certain level of snobbishness towards the "newly converted." (Disregard this bit if you were being sarcastic. The Internet is hard sometimes.)

The comment about naivety and zealot's was unnecessary for this conversation and exhibits a certain level of snobbishness towards the "newly converted." (Disregard this bit if you were being sarcastic. The Internet is hard sometimes.)
He was actually pretty restrained in his condescension this time around, but I've seen him react to enough of these threads to expect it.

It was the convert part that hurt. Some of us zealots have been raised in the religion of good beer.

That is a cop-out. There are still humans involved that have forgotten more about brewing than you and I will ever know. I dare you to try and replicate it. I bet you can't do it. If you don't like the style, give it away. I am sure you have plenty of BMC drinking friends that would appreciate it.

That is a cop-out. There are still humans involved that have forgotten more about brewing than you and I will ever know. I dare you to try and replicate it. I bet you can't do it. If you don't like the style, give it away. I am sure you have plenty of BMC drinking friends that would appreciate it.

agree 100%. Fact of the matter is that the top thre do a fantastic job at making beer with great success. I read pliny the elder threads all of the time about inconsitancies between batches. I rarely hear about inconsistancies in BMC products.

Bernie Brewer said:

I couldn't consistently build a crappy car. However, a lot of manufacturers can. Consistency does not equal quality.

Seriously? Does this hijacking have to happen every time someone utters the word Bud, Miller, or Coors and has the audacity to even think about the word clone?

I see there are some recipes posted, I'm curious how close these are as well. I would like to try to do this, not to save money, but to test my abilities. I brewed a Light American Lager in early October (recipe posted below) and I am very happy with the results, but can't say that it is a clone of any particular beer. But if anyone has an actual clone (or something very close), I'd be interested in making an attempt.

Light American Lager Swill:

5.5 G batch
75% efficiency
4.2 ABV.
11.9 IBUs

5 lb. Pilsner
1 lb 8 oz. Flaked Corn
1 lb 8 oz. Flaked Rice
1.3 oz. Munich

0.3 Cascade 60 min.
0.3 Cascade 30 min.
0.2 Cascade 5 min.