First Starter... Pitched....Normal Growth??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blend120

Reaction score
First, Hello everyone! I've been lurking for quite some time learning stuff as I go. I've brewed 8 batches of Extract now. I have everything to move to AG but just haven't physically put the stuff together.

So the issue today is this....I decided to make a starter for the first time. I have a stir plate and flask etc. My yeast arrived to me last Friday in the 108 degree weather. WLP001. So this Friday I made my starter and was hoping to brew today (Saturday). I know that in the future it would be wise to chill and decant but I kinda wanted to brew today because I had time. So I brewed up a batch of Cluster Fuggle IPA. It was a day of firsts....I used my new burner outside, I made a starter, I made and used a hop bag holder, I have a better bottle primary, I'm using my basement at 66 degrees as my chamber. I have a few pics of the progression but the unnerving part is the immediate growth on the bottom of the fermenter. It's only been two hours....here they are
Just cooking....
IMG_0209.jpg

14 hours of stirring....
IMG_0214.jpg

An hour after pitching....
IMG_0225.jpg

Am I worried for nothing? Never saw this before?

By the way, I used MR. Malty to figure out starter size. OG was 1.058 so it called for a 1 vial 1000ml starter.

?

Fermenter or starter?

Did you boil the yeast?

Not really sure what the question is.

The OG of the beer I was going to brew and use the starter in was 1.058. So I made a 1L starter with one vial of White Labs Cal Ale yeast. No I didn't boil the yeast.

My question is...is the pic on the bottom (of the carboy) normal after pitching a starter? After further thought and checking it ten times it looks like a giant yeast cake. But I just was unnerved by the visual. So I'm looking for a thumbs up that it's normal.

I went down this morning...and it is just about one bubble every 45-50 seconds. There are also the white colonies on the top. Looks like mold but I believe from reading yesterday that it's yeast colonies.

Looks like break material which is perfectly normal. Did you use Whirfloc or Irish moss?

I used a Whirfloc tablet. First time I've used one.

I just went down a few minutes ago and I"m feeling a bit better. There is visible activity in the carboy and bubbles every 8-10 seconds. So I would say it's headed in the right direction.

Whirfloc is most likely the cause of that strange looking stuff at the bottom of your fermentor. But that's a good thing. Whirfloc is doing its job!

ok thanks a lot! I appreciate your help. I figured everything was ok but wondered what the growth (or I guess it's settling) was attributed to. I initially thought it might have been the starter yeast being shocked and stalling or something. I"ll chalk this up to more experience.

Latest posts

Back