How's this for a sign.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coy

Reaction score
Ok so Ive been reading the The New Complete Joy of Homebrewing and just haven't gotten any thing to start with yet.

Well that all changed yesterday. LOL

I for no apparent reason went to Goodwill just to waist some time and what did I find on the shelf, but a bag of brew stuff. LOL hose, clamp, bottle caps, capping thing, hydrometer, stoppers, ferment/air lock things (2) and some other stuff.. Not sure what the CO2 cartriges are for (maybe some help on that)??... all for $2 :ban: figured it was maybe $20-40 worth of stuff..???

so I took that as a sign that I should just jump in and order my self this starter kit from http://www.windriverbrew.com/apprentice.html from Windriver Brewing company. great guy to deal with that's been answering some of my questions and the price on the kit was something I could afford. :D

Oh and I was at an antique shop on Saturday and found two carboys for $10 each.. I'll have to go back and see if I can snach em up for less.

wow dude - thats a nice score... definitely a sign to get your a$$ in gear and brew some beer!

Even at $10 thats a good price for a carboy.

I dunno about advertising their website in your sig tho...

You have 44 posts on here and have not brewed a single batch? What have you been talking about?

wow dude - thats a nice score... definitely a sign to get your a$$ in gear and brew some beer!

Even at $10 thats a good price for a carboy.

I dunno about advertising their website in your sig tho...

Yeah but it's worth asking if they'll take less.. all they can say is no.. Goodwill wanted $4 for all that stuff asked them if they'd take $2. lol

why not advertise their website? windriverguy has been helping me out with a few questions. Him, Joshua and Wildwest450 all three are great guys I've delet with on here so far.

You have 44 posts on here and have not brewed a single batch? What have you been talking about?
hahaha yeah mostly lables area. I do graphic deisgn stuff, so it caught my attention.
But I've been reading all over the place. hops growing, the beginner section mostly though.. reading what others are doing wrong, trying to make sure I don't do the same but probably will.lol reading some recipes just kinda all over reading. ;)

And a Premium Supporter at that!
I have to thank Wildwest450 for that part. truely a great guy. :mug:to him.

Well, better late than never. Get brewing!

I should have my first batch going by next weekend.. I'm getting excited allready. :D
I'm going to be hunting down a good deal on a big brew pot, this weekend. lol..

Funny you should mention that. Just the other day I was wondering exactly how many of the contributors at this forum have actually brewed beer. I've been to forums for other hobbies and seen situations wherein the most ardent, die-hard, know-it-alls were found out to have never participated in the hobby at all! LOL!! They just studied up on it via the web and then spouted it off on the forum.

Funny you should mention that. Just the other day I was wondering exactly how many of the contributors at this forum have actually brewed beer. I've been to forums for other hobbies and seen situations wherein the most ardent, die-hard, know-it-alls were found out to have never participated in the hobby at all! LOL!! They just studied up on it via the web and then spouted it off on the forum.

That doesn't sound like me.. I'm still learning. LOL

But I'll be sure to act like I know it all once I brew my first batch. :drunk: j/k.

I'm still not sure what the CO2 cartridges are for.

What do they look like?

They look like these
5002M.jpg

I haven't opened the large bag up yet so I might have some other parts in there that will explain what they were used for. LOL

I did find out I have the black beauty caper though. hahaha

I'd say the CO2 was just thrown into the lot when given to the thrift store. I can't see any use in them if they are the small ones I imagine them being.

Some people use cartridges like that to dispense kegged beer when trying to keep things portable. They do have functions in brewing.

Some people use cartridges like that to dispense kegged beer when trying to keep things portable. They do have functions in brewing.

Exactly, search for keg charger, they should be oil-less compressed air (the cheaper ones for BB guns, etc sometimes have oil inside of them which would get nasties inside your keg:

KegChargerKit.jpg

That doesn't sound like me.. I'm still learning. LOL

But I'll be sure to act like I know it all once I brew my first batch. :drunk: j/k.

I'm still not sure what the CO2 cartridges are for.

No, no, no......there were no accusations intended or implied with that post. It was just a humorous musing.

coy, that deal for the kit is awesome. I was looking around for a basic kit for a while and found nothing better than that. What I like about it is that it is truly basic and not gimmicky. I am sure that books and dvds that come with other basic kits are useful for some, I didn't want them.

Anyway, congrats on your scores and good luck with all your future brews.

152Sumo - thanks. and the kit comes with something to brew. :D I went with the gopher pale ale..

OK here goes.
I went to the thrift store near my work during my break and found a 16qt. aluminum pot for $4.99..
The bad is it has a slight red color stain in it, that looks as if someone cooked chili in it once and never used it again. It still had the stickers on the outside. lol. But figured a little hard cleaning would take care of that.

I was worried about it being aluminum because aluminum is poris(sp) small but still poris to some point.
after searching found https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/faq-aluminum-pots-boil-kettles-49449/ and put myself to rest. I also didn't bring myself to read all 11 or so pages.

But as I read found that everyone seems to be getting like 30, 40, or more quart pots.
Will the 16qt. (4gallons) be large enough? according to my book it appears so, but is everyone making huge amounts or am I missing something?

sorry to sound stupid or whatever but would it be worth it. I mean it's only $5 probably less when I'm done. haha..

152Sumo - thanks. and the kit comes with something to brew. :D I went with the gopher pale ale..

OK here goes.
I went to the thrift store near my work during my break and found a 16qt. aluminum pot for $4.99..
The bad is it has a slight red color stain in it, that looks as if someone cooked chili in it once and never used it again. It still had the stickers on the outside. lol. But figured a little hard cleaning would take care of that.

I was worried about it being aluminum because aluminum is poris(sp) small but still poris to some point.
after searching found https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/faq-aluminum-pots-boil-kettles-49449/ and put myself to rest. I also didn't bring myself to read all 11 or so pages.

But as I read found that everyone seems to be getting like 30, 40, or more quart pots.
Will the 16qt. (4gallons) be large enough? according to my book it appears so, but is everyone making huge amounts or am I missing something?

sorry to sound stupid or whatever but would it be worth it. I mean it's only $5 probably less when I'm done. haha..

Not sure about aluminum, but the advice you will probably get with most is buy the biggest you can afford. I have a 16 qt and I am happy with it. Take my advice with a grain of salt, though. I am not that experienced. I am confident, though, that my 16 qt will get the job done, as long as I do what I am supposed to do: sanitize, temp control, sanitize, and temp control.

sounds like it'll work well for a beginner then.
Thanks again sumo. :D

Congrats on the score!

As for the size pot - its all in how large of a boil you want to do. I do All Grain brewing, which requires me to boil ~6 gallons of collected wort for a 5 gallon batch. That requires at least a 7 gallon or 30 quart pot. If you are doing partial boil extract brewing you don't need such a large pot.

Also - dig your artwork. I'm not a graphic designer, but my degree (Graphic Communications), basically has to do with the entire printing industry. It was a breath of fresh air when I read your post in another thread saying you (as a graphic designer) don't really work with Photoshop! You can't believe the number of customers at my old job (label printer) who though everything should be done in Photoshop.

Congrats on the score!

As for the size pot - its all in how large of a boil you want to do. I do All Grain brewing, which requires me to boil ~6 gallons of collected wort for a 5 gallon batch. That requires at least a 7 gallon or 30 quart pot. If you are doing partial boil extract brewing you don't need such a large pot.

Also - dig your artwork. I'm not a graphic designer, but my degree (Graphic Communications), basically has to do with the entire printing industry. It was a breath of fresh air when I read your post in another thread saying you (as a graphic designer) don't really work with Photoshop! You can't believe the number of customers at my old job (label printer) who though everything should be done in Photoshop.

Thanks.. Since I'm starting out the partial extract boil seems to be what I'll be doing for a little bit anyway. and like I said $5 is better than the $30+ they want at other places for new.

also thanks about my art work. I can believe it. I've come across alot of "graphic designers" that think photoshop is just fine to do logo work in. LOL..
Photoshop has it's place but not for everything. I think it's a nice tool to have for messing around w/ photo manipulation.

Thanks.. Since I'm starting out the partial extract boil seems to be what I'll be doing for a little bit anyway. and like I said $5 is better than the $30+ they want at other places for new.

also thanks about my art work. I can believe it. I've come across alot of "graphic designers" that think photoshop is just fine to do logo work in. LOL..
Photoshop has it's place but not for everything. I think it's a nice tool to have for messing around w/ photo manipulation.

I think you will be happy with it. I did partial boil on the stovetop for a few years until I stepped up to full. With full boils you usually have to buy a propane burner too because most stovetops won't boil 6 gallons of liquid.

Yea, Photoshop is a great program, which I use almost every day. Mostly for making masks and creating curves for color adjustments on press.

Edcculus-it'd be cool to talk shop sometime..It'd be nice to learn a little more about photoshop, I just havent had the need to use it much, I guess.

had some good news.. my kit shipped yesterday, same day shiped as ordered...whoo hoo.. I see brewing soon. :D quick turn around. :mug:

Back