Flame-out hops, chilling and whirpooling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasmeyer

Reaction score
I have let my flame-out hops simmer for 20 minutes or so in the boil kettle after turning the burner off, to extract as much hop flavor as I can before chilling the beer with an imersion chiller. I would like to whirlpool as well on my next batch, but am concerned that if I whirlpool while my flame-out hops settle, I will disturb the sediment created by the whirlpool when I drop my coil chiller in after 20 mins or so. How do others use a coil chiller, create a whirlpool, and allow flame-out hops to do their thing without disturbing the sediment, or let things sit too long prior to chilling. I have always been told to chill the beer down ASAP after the boil.

Flameout hops go in when you turn off the burner (obviously), but you might think about already having your IC in their for the last 10 minutes or so to sterilize it. You can wait a few minutes to actually start chilling if you want, to let the hops soak longer, but I haven't and it's worked for me flavor-wise.

Leave a spoon in the wort while it's chilling, and cover with a lid if you can. When it's chilled, pull out the IC, put the kettle where you want it for racking to your primary, THEN stir up your whirlpool and let it go for 15 minutes (or longer, I can't remember how long is recommended). The idea is that the whirlpool is the last thing you do, so you don't stir up the trub cone after it's set up.

That said, my last (first) attempt at whirlpooling really didn't pan out. It helped a little, but I probably didn't let it swirl long enough. Just because it looks still doesn't mean there's not still movement beneath the surface.

Flameout hops go in when you turn off the burner (obviously), but you might think about already having your IC in their for the last 10 minutes or so to sterilize it. You can wait a few minutes to actually start chilling if you want, to let the hops soak longer, but I haven't and it's worked for me flavor-wise.
What I have done in the past was to pre-boil the chiller on my stove with a smaller pot, then transfer it to my kettle when I want to chill the beer. So I can let the hops whirlpool and "sit" for a while if I want to because my chiller with be sterile. I just want to figure out how to do all of this without disturbing my cone.

What I have done in the past was to pre-boil the chiller on my stove with a smaller pot, then transfer it to my kettle when I want to chill the beer. So I can let the hops whirlpool and "sit" for a while if I want to because my chiller with be sterile. I just want to figure out how to do all of this without disturbing my cone.

I think the easiest way to do that is to FO hop, then chill, THEN whirlpool after you remove the chiller. Maybe use a hop bag for the FO hops, then you can just pull the bag out before whirlpooling.

If you do anything after you whirlpool, you'll be stirring up the cone to some degree. I've never heard of doing it in that order, except with the combination whirlpool chiller setups people have made.

Latest posts

Back