Regulator problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teu1003

Reaction score
I have purchased regulators from 2 different sources, my local homebew guy and an online supplier. One has a turning lever to increase and decrease the pressure, the other needs to be turned with a screw driver.

The problem is this: on both regulators the turning mechanism has become HOPELESSLY LOCKED. It starts slowly, with it becoming kinda hard to turn and it progressively gets tighter and tighter until it simply will no longer turn.

Another brewing friend had a similiar problem with one he got from the same homebrew guy.

Neither supplier will replace their units.

Has anyone else had this problem? Am I missing a simple trick to keep these
things operating properly?

Open it all the way up so that no gas is being discharged, then slowly start turning it in to release the gas, you will never need to turn it all the way in. Mine was shipped with the knob all the way in and it was a pain in the as* to open, try a little silicone on the threads when the knob is backed off all the way

May sound dump but are you turning them the rite way? I know on my regulators I have to turn counter clockwise to close and clockwise to open. I believe that is for all regulators for saftey.

Thats how mine is set up also. Like I said it was a ***** to get it turned off the first time.

No ... both units were operating properly for several months. Then a gradual difficulty in turning began until it became locked up. I just find it strange that 2 regulators of different styles should suffer the same problem.

No ... both units were operating properly for several months. Then a gradual difficulty in turning began until it became locked up. I just find it strange that 2 regulators of different styles should suffer the same problem.

Any chance there is excessive moisture? Maybe they are rusting up inside?

Back