ALWAYS stress the signature requirement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So yeah I am gonna vent a little.

26 Ounces of hops were delivered to my doorstep via Fed Ex today. Fuggle and Kent Goldings. Tracking sez that the package was delivered at 11:30 am.

Had I realized this, I probly would have come home at lunch to get them into cold storage but my hectic workday had me unable to check delivery status.

Anyway, I get home and no box. WTF, I call Fed Ex and they issue a trace and tell me that if they havent located the package in 3 days I can file a claim.

So, tonight I head to the corner store for a pack of smoke and along the way I notice a box next to the curb on the next street over. I dunno why but I felt compelled to stop and look.

IT WAS MY BOX! Contents gone. $100.00 worth of hops gone to some hoodlum who prolly doesn't have a clue what they are and is prolly rolling a big fat one out of them right now.

I am pissed.

The moral here is to always request that a signature be required for delivery. Had that happened I would have my hops. Now, I am just screwed.

I seriously doubt that Fed Ex will cover the loss and I seriously doubt the supplier will either. So, I got F#cked.:mad:

GilaMinumBeer said:
So yeah I am gonna vent a little.

26 Ounces of hops were delivered to my doorstep via Fed Ex today. Fuggle and Kent Goldings. Tracking sez that the package was delivered at 11:30 am.

Had I realized this, I probly would have come home at lunch to get them into cold storage but my hectic workday had me unable to check delivery status.

Anyway, I get home and no box. WTF, I call Fed Ex and they issue a trace and tell me that if they havent located the package in 3 days I can file a claim.

So, tonight I head to the corner store for a pack of smoke and along the way I notice a box next to the curb on the next street over. I dunno why but I felt compelled to stop and look.

IT WAS MY BOX! Contents gone. $100.00 worth of hops gone to some hoodlum who prolly doesn't have a clue what they are and is prolly rolling a big fat one out of them right now.

I am pissed.

The moral here is to always request that a signature be required for delivery. Had that happened I would have my hops. Now, I am just screwed.

I seriously doubt that Fed Ex will cover the loss and I seriously doubt the supplier will either. So, I got F#cked.:mad:

Did you already tell Fed Ex you found the box? If you haven't, don't. Proceed as though you never received it, since you didn't. File that claim...

Dude, I work in shipping & use fedex everyday. They are a decent company, but keep a good papertrail, find 1 person to talk to (like a rep or something), call them everyday, they will recoup. It is funny to think of some retard stealing all your hops with the hopes of smoking it up... ha, stupid people

As the owner of an internet business who ships dozens of packages a day, I can say with confidence.

1. FedEx is responsible. They left the package. BUT, they will deal only with the shipper.
2. The seller is responsible for making you whole and collecting from FedEx.
3. Your CC vendor will make it right for you if they do not.

Don't let them give you any crap. You have no liability in this one. The seller took a risk by not requiring a signature. FedEx took a risk by not getting a signature. And Visa took a risk by allowing a sale w/o a signature.

pldoolittle said:
As the owner of an internet business who ships dozens of packages a day, I can say with confidence.

1. FedEx is responsible. They left the package. BUT, they will deal only with the shipper.
2. The seller is responsible for making you whole and collecting from FedEx.
3. Your CC vendor will make it right for you if they do not.

Don't let them give you any crap. You have no liability in this one. The seller took a risk by not requiring a signature. FedEx took a risk by not getting a signature. And Visa took a risk by allowing a sale w/o a signature.

All very reasonable, sound points. Completely agree.

Believe me, all the driver wants to do is secure the current package and get on to the next stop. If your front porch is not secure enough then the hassle of getting your signature is a whole new game. Do you want to deal with the hassle of taking the day off to sign for your hops, which may not arrive that day, because they aren't technically due till tomorrow?

Yes, delivering a package is a simple act. Sh*t happened for you. Couriers make a decision determinant on the circumstances and pressure they are under at the time. I personally feel bad you had a f*'d up experience dealing with your vendor and fedx. I truly hope you get properly reimbursed.

That sucks, But I've got good news! I recently acquired 26 ounces of Fuggle and Kent Golding hops and I need to get rid of them quick. Let me know if your interested. ;) Just playin. But seriously, that sucks big time and I hope you get your money back. Hopefully the dude that stole them feeds them to his dog and his dog dies. :D

uuurang said:
Do you want to deal with the hassle of taking the day off to sign for your hops, which may not arrive that day, because they aren't technically due till tomorrow?

My point here is that, if you or someone else is t present to sign then the delivery person cannot leave the package. Sure this may be an added hassle but, I for one would have been glad to drive to the hub and retrieve my package. At least then I would have my hops.

I think it's safe to say that any location where you can walk to the corner store is a potentially unsafe place to leave a package on a doorstep. I have packages left all the time but my porch is like 50' off the street and there are plenty of hiding places. I agree though, it's not your problem. You didn't receive the package.

that ****ing sucks your package got stolen, i once had fedex take my package to the wrong house. i would have never had a clue if it wasn't for some kid coming to my door trying to sell me my records. since than i have all my packages sent to my job.

Bobby_M said:
I think it's safe to say that any location where you can walk to the corner store is a potentially unsafe place to leave a package on a doorstep. I have packages left all the time but my porch is like 50' off the street and there are plenty of hiding places. I agree though, it's not your problem. You didn't receive the package.

The corner store is 2 miles away (never said I was walking, just said I stopped)and my porch is also 50 foot from the curb.

I am half tempted to leave a decoy package on my porch (filled with used diapers), take the day off, and watch for the culprit. Follow the f&cker home and either approach his parents or call the police.

Yes, I am still pissed.

GilaMinumBeer said:
I am half tempted to leave a decoy package on my porch (filled with used diapers), take the day off, and watch for the culprit. Follow the f&cker home and either approach his parents or call the police.

Yes, I am still pissed.
maybe you could try this....

:D

Sorry for your loss. they always drop the box in my garage. the only time I have it shipped to work is if I don't want the SHMBO to find out about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
GilaMinumBeer said:
I am half tempted to leave a decoy package on my porch (filled with used diapers), take the day off, and watch for the culprit....
I can definitely help you out there. I've got a 10 month old pooper! I'll save them up for about a week and then I'll send them out to you.......via Fed-Ex. PM me with your address.:D

But seriously, that really does suck. Keep us posted on the outcome. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

People really have to have some ballz to walk that far onto your property to take a package. They have to be local to know you're def not home. Baseball bat to the skull is in order.

I don't know if this is possible for you but often times if I have a big ticket item shipped I will have it shipped to my work, that way I don't have to worry about a box sitting on my front porch all day. Having to sign for everything I mail order just isn't feasible for me so shipping to work is the best option.

Can't blame you. I'm in the middle of challenging some charges against my company's bank card. All three placed over the Internet at sites the don't require the code on the back of the card.

Man, I just checked on a copper order I made, saw that they tried to deliver it on friday, but didn't because no one was home. I was a little bummed that they didn't leave it, but after reading your story, I'm lucky that DHL was on their game.

If you haven't already done so, make 2 calls. First one is to place you ordered from telling them what happened and asking when you can expect to see the new shipment. The 2nd one to your CC company no matter what the seller says.

FedEx to blame for sure on this one. If nobody is home they could have easily left the ticket for re-delivery. I've had to head to UPS and FedEx many times after work to pick up and sign for a package.

As far as your hops, watch craigslist fo a few days or even eBay. Should be easy enough since you know the brand and weight. Proving them a theif would be hard enough though, but the cops may help if the person you target has history with them.

GilaMinumBeer said:
I am half tempted to leave a decoy package on my porch (filled with used diapers), take the day off, and watch for the culprit.
I sympathize with you.

On a lighter note, many years ago when I was creating children, the local midwife used to visit all the expectant mothers in the area on her bicycle and collect urine samples. She got one from SWMBO in a Schweppes ginger ale bottle. On the way to the lab, she stopped off at the post office to buy some stamps, leaving the sample in her handlebar basket. It was stolen while she was in the post office!:ban:
In this case, I think the thief got what he deserved.

-a.

Bobby_M said:
People really have to have some ballz to walk that far onto your property to take a package. They have to be local to know you're def not home. Baseball bat to the skull is in order.

Ha! Oooooh, I am not ready to go to jail for this but, the idean is enticing. "Honestly Officer, he walked right through my door. We DO have the Make My Day Law here."

Yeah, I think it was a school kid walking home. I have a High School that has "issues" not but a few miles away. Still waiting to hear from both the supplier and Fed Ex about the outcome. Good news is that the package was insured for the value of the contents. I just dunno how long it will take Fed Ex to process the claim and for the supplier to make good.

You can remind the supplier that they don't need to wait for fedex before they send your replacement. No reason for you to suffer as this is between them and fedex. If they're really dragging their feet on it, say "that's ok." Cancel the charge with your CC co and order from someone else.

Kubed said:
You can remind the supplier that they don't need to wait for fedex before they send your replacement. No reason for you to suffer as this is between them and fedex. If they're really dragging their feet on it, say "that's ok." Cancel the charge with your CC co and order from someone else.

Kubed, As an online merchant of 7+ years, I can tell you that what you are suggesting is abusive and rude.

First, I get 20 calls/month with missing packages. 19 of those are people who didn't look on the front porch, their wife took it in and didn't tell them, etc. If I immediately shipped on every lost package, I'd spend a fortune in shipping for re-ships and return postage for duplicate packages. Filing a claim is takes about 48 hours and we ship a replacement immediately upon carrier confirmation of a loss.

Second, Remember that the merchant got screwed here to. It's not his fault your neighbors stole from your porch, but he will still eat the time and postage to service and replace the package. He could require a signature on every package, but then you would take your business elsewhere. So remember, you bear some of the responsibility and the merchant asking you to be patient while they make you whole is not at all unreasonable.

Finally, contrary to popular opinion, issuing a charge back is intended for use when a merchant fails to deliver the goods, NOT simply when they aren't as fast as you like. It costs them a penalty of $10-40 and the number chargebacks affects their discount ratio. Remember that if you had written a check stopping payment is a crime punishable by jail time. And while a chargeback is legal, you should give it the same regard as stopping payment on a check.

Bottom line; If your message is indicative of how you choose to do business, please do me a favor and take your business elsewhere. I prefer to deal with people who communicate and work cooperate to find mutually equitable solutions to a problem.

EDIT: I just read this after posting

Kubed said:
The 2nd one to your CC company no matter what the seller says.

That is ridiculous. Please PM me your real name so I can add it to my fraud list. That way, if you ever end up at my store I won't have to worry about your immature behavior.

pldoolittle said:
Kubed, As an online merchant of 7+ years, I can tell you that what you are suggesting is abusive and rude.
Apparently we've touched upon a nerve here. I've got no problem with you viewing what I said as being "abusive and rude" because I found the tone of your reply to be exactly the same. I have a hard time believing that you would still be in business after 7+ years if you really talked to your customers like that so I'll assume that you're just a little worked up over this.

I buy $10k+ in online goods a year and most of the time it works flawlessly. However it took just a few bad experiences to leave me with zero tolerance for BS. A few months ago I had an $800 truck part go missing. When I called the seller to tell them about what had happened, they told me “we shipped it, take it up with UPS.” Rarely is there a problem with online shopping and I’ll give the seller the benefit of the doubt when there is, but when that’s the attitude I’m faced with, I’ve got no problem canceling my order and taking my money elsewhere.

pldoolittle said:
That is ridiculous. Please PM me your real name so I can add it to my fraud list. That way, if you ever end up at my store I won't have to worry about your immature behavior.

Well Philip, I’m not sure when I’ll be in the market for cat pee remover, but I wouldn’t worry about me shopping from you.

The supplier did ship the hops, and UPS (or who ever) did deliver them. How is it their fault, and why should they be held responsible, because they were stolen off the front porch of the person who ordered them?

Everyone always looks for someone else to take the blame when things don't go right.

Was the shipment insured? No.

File a police report and get over it.

Kubed said:
Apparently we've touched upon a nerve here. I've got no problem with you viewing what I said as being "abusive and rude" because I found the tone of your reply to be exactly the same.

It wasn't your tone I objected to, it was you willingness to screw a vendor at the drop of a hat. As you said yourself, "no matter what the seller says"...

Kubed said:
I have a hard time believing that you would still be in business after 7+ years if you really talked to your customers like that so I'll assume that you're just a little worked up over this.

Yes, and no. No, I don't talk to 99.999% of my customers this way, just the ones that feel it's appropriate to pre-emptively screw me over because of what they imagine I *might* do to them. Yes, I am a little worked up over this issue. You are the one in a thousand that makes you wonder if being in retail is worth it. The person that is always pissed off no matter how hard you work to satisfy them.

Kubed said:
I buy $10k+ in online goods a year and most of the time it works flawlessly. However it took just a few bad experiences to leave me with zero tolerance for BS.

Lots and lots of online purchases, with only a few bad experiences. And you think that those few experiences give you license to screw over a seller at a moments notice because they don't respond fast enough for you?

Kubed said:
I wouldn’t worry about me shopping from you.

That is your loss. I think if you will present a copy of your comments from this thread to merchants *before* you place an order, you will find very few will do business with you.

Beerthoven said:
The supplier did ship the hops, and UPS (or who ever) did deliver them. How is it their fault, and why should they be held responsible, because they were stolen off the front porch of the person who ordered them?

Everyone always looks for someone else to take the blame when things don't go right. Was the shipment insured? No. File a police report and get over it.

Actually, Kubed is right about it being the vendors responsibility to make it right. I'm just busting his chops for not behaving appropriately and allowing the vendor a reasonable period of time to make it right.

As for why: UPS took a risk in not making a positive delivery. UPS works for the seller. Secondarily, The seller took a risk by not requiring a signature.

Beerthoven said:

Everyone always looks for someone else to take the blame when things don't go right.

Was the shipment insured? No.

File a police report and get over it.

The shipment was insured. My point, again, here is that we should require a signature for delivery. Then the carrier would be obligated to leave a delivery notice rather than dumping a package on a porch.

Had I had some forsight I would have suggested to the shipper to require a signature. In the future, I will be having all packages delivered to my work (which is against my own personal policy).

I never said that the shipper or Fed Ex is responsible and until I learned that the package had been insured I had considered this an unfortunate (expensive) loss on my part.

The frustration is that,

1.) A signature request should not be an option, it should be policy on the part of the carrier.

2.) It is rediculous to think that a package is no longer safe in a respected neighborhood.

3.) Forea members have taken this to a level of trashing one another rather than heed the warning I was attempting to convey.

The ONLY real blame is on the unknown culprit who apparently has nothing better to do in life than cause simple, productive, law abiding citizens distress, frustration, and distrust in his fellow neighbors.

Sounds like someone's cat pissed on their carpet... Hey I'll sell you some baking soda for $55. AHAHAHAH :ban: :ban:
you need to relax dude...

pldoolittle said:

First, I get 20 calls/month with missing packages. 19 of those are people who didn't look on the front porch, their wife took it in and didn't tell them, etc. If I immediately shipped on every lost package, I'd spend a fortune in shipping for re-ships and return postage for duplicate packages. Filing a claim is takes about 48 hours and we ship a replacement immediately upon carrier confirmation of a loss.

Second, Remember that the merchant got screwed here to. It's not his fault your neighbors stole from your porch, but he will still eat the time and postage to service and replace the package. He could require a signature on every package, but then you would take your business elsewhere. So remember, you bear some of the responsibility and the merchant asking you to be patient while they make you whole is not at all unreasonable.

Finally, contrary to popular opinion, issuing a charge back is intended for use when a merchant fails to deliver the goods, NOT simply when they aren't as fast as you like. It costs them a penalty of $10-40 and the number chargebacks affects their discount ratio. Remember that if you had written a check stopping payment is a crime punishable by jail time. And while a chargeback is legal, you should give it the same regard as stopping payment on a check.

Bottom line; If your message is indicative of how you choose to do business, please do me a favor and take your business elsewhere. I prefer to deal with people who communicate and work cooperate to find mutually equitable solutions to a problem.

EDIT: I just read this after posting

GilaMinumBeer said:
A signature request should not be an option, it should be policy on the part of the carrier.

It'll never happen because most customers don't want it. I would lose 50% of my business if signatures were mandatory...

richab said:
Sounds like someone's cat pissed on their carpet... you need to relax dude...

I'm tapping one now.

I still cannot comprehend why you guys are cool with someone openly advocating screwing over merchants. Do you think the merchants pay the associated fees and charges? No, you do. It's built into the cost of every thing you buy.

edit: why is this in the recipe section anyways?

I'm going to side with pldoolittle on this one, its not the vendors fault that the package went missing and if the signature was mandatory you'd either have to get it shipping to work (solves the problem of it going missing) or wait home all day.

This happened to me once before with a shipment from northern brewer, said it was delivered but it was nowhere to be found, so called them, they called UPS and started a trace on the package. 7 days later it was nowhere to be found so they shipped out a replacement. Yeah it sucks you dont get your stuff on time but things happen. 1 1/2 months later the original shipment appears at my door, still taped up and everything... I'm thinking the driver or the warehouse lost the package sometime en-route and just said it was "delivered"

However if the company jerks you around and never sends a replacement in a sensible amount of time then its probably reasonable to reverse the charges on the card, but most places are reasonable and they do want to have your business.

This thread should have way less complaining and back-biting, and way more discussion about the little punk that is trying to smoke him some bitter herb.

Can you imagine the taste of smoked fuggles? That amount of bitterness might permanantly kill all bitter taste buds in your mouth (or at least send them into permanant hiding, wimpering for their mama).

If you paid by credit card call them up. CC companys will do stop payments or refunds. They have a lot of power. Credit is excellent if your card has insurance programs in place just for situations like this.

*goes to get popcorn to watch the pissing contest*

And why IS this in the recipe forum anyways? This should be moved to drunken ramblings/working our way to fisticuffs

Back