Ran out of space.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rys06Tbss

Reaction score
Like an idiot I thought 10ft would be long enough for my cascade plant. Well it finally ran out of space yesterday. Will these grow downward now? I can run them up any further

you can train the bines back downward but its not something they will do on their own. Im also not sure once you train them down if the will keep growing that bine or start a new side growth to go vertical, maybe someone else can speak to that.

Three choices, build higher, snip or leave them alone.

If you can build more, put something for them to grow up another 6 feet or so. you'll get more hops.

You could snip off the tip of the main bine. This will cause more side arms to grow, but most liklely one will try to become the dominate bine and continue the growth up. So there is a chance you will be hurting yourself because its putting its energy into the upward growth instead of making cones.

You could ignore it. It will realize it can't go up any further, stop growing and worry about making cones. Of course this is the easiest.

So just let it go then. I can't go up any higher, my next spot to go up higher is over 20 ft. I don't have a ladder this high nor do I have the courage to climb a ladder that high if I even had said ladder

Cut the line at the top, let what has grown sit near the ground and affix a new line and string it to grow back up? I'm in the same situation.

I've tried that with hops in a pot. I let it grow up 6 feet, then drop the line down...repeat so the bine could grow 18 feet. I haven't seen any major difference but its in a pot so it has many things going against it.

Back