Which Bench Capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
My wing capper is hacking me off...too many broken bottles, won't cap all of my bottles, and it's just plain not cool. :mad: So I've got to get a bench capper...any comments on either of these:

bottle-cappers.jpg

The second from right is the Colonna capper, the one on the far right is the Super Agata bench capper. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

El Pistolero said:
My wing capper is hacking me off...too many broken bottles, won't cap all of my bottles, and it's just plain not cool. :mad: So I've got to get a bench capper...any comments on either of these:

Go with the one on the far right. I've used one similar to that at the St. George Brewery. Too much plastic on thos other models will lead to trouble eventually. I've read all over the bench capper on the right will even cap twist-off bottles.

I use a cast iron version of the one on the far right. I cap twist off bottles regularly with no problems.

If you can find a cast irin bench capper, go with that. they'll last for ever. Otherwise I'd go with the one on the far right. (Though I usually vote left, hahaha)

Do you know the metal pieces on the red and black cappers are removable for 2 sizes of bottle necks? Just use a pair of pliers to remove them. Turn them around 180 degrees and reinsert them.

Maybe that's your reason for breaking bottles? :confused:

best idea i can come up with is...........

KEG!!!!!

or

SWING TOP

just kidding, i'd go with the one on the far right. looks like the best to me.

homebrewer_99 said:
Do you know the metal pieces on the red and black cappers are removable for 2 sizes of bottle necks? Just use a pair of pliers to remove them. Turn them around 180 degrees and reinsert them.

Maybe that's your reason for breaking bottles? :confused:
I've heard that...I've got the black one, and I've looked and looked at it, and I can't figure out how the metal pieces come out...but I'm pretty much a klutz at anything mechanical anyway. :( $30 bucks isn't much, and I think if I can amortize it over 10 or 12 batches then SWMBO might not even notice it. :cool:

They pull straight out (with pliers). You'll probably have to pull hard the first time.

Put them on a piece of paper and trace one side. It'll look like a cresent moon. Then turn the metal plate 180 degrees and line it up with the other line tracing and you'll see they are 2 sizes.

The smaller cresent will be for fatter bottle necks.

Be sure you don't mix up the 2 sizes when you reassemble.

homebrewer_99 said:
Very Interesting! You say 2 neck sizes? What would the other size be? I've never had any problems with different necks, but a few times when I've had capping help, a few didn't get sealed properly. I was able to pop the cap off with my fingers. :mad: Flat waisted homebrew.

brewsmith said:
Very Interesting! You say 2 neck sizes? What would the other size be? I've never had any problems with different necks, but a few times when I've had capping help, a few didn't get sealed properly. I was able to pop the cap off with my fingers. :mad: Flat waisted homebrew.

One neck is slightly smaller than the other. It really depends on the bottle.

I didn't make it, but it's apparent someone thought about the different sizes and did something intelligent about it. :D

Pull the metal plates out and measure them yourself and you'll see what I'm talking about.

homebrewer_99 said:
FYI, the metal plates don't pull out of the black capper...not without breaking it anyway. Even if they did pull out, the metal plates have only one curved edge...the edge 180 to the curved one is straight. Guess it's only the red ones that are adjustable. :(

I use the one on the far right, only problem I've had is that mine is a bit cheap, got it for 10 bucks. The little red stopper at the top doesn't work so well so I have to occasionally readjust as I'm capping. Not as big a headache as the hand cappers, that's for sure. I have capped a few twist offs with success, but I'm too paranoid to risk all my hard work so I don't use them for my homebrew.

brewsmith said:

My point in saying there are different neck sizes is that not all European or Asian beer bottles are to an American standard size (if there is such a thing).

I have both, but the majority of my bottles are 1/2 liter German flippies. The others are just 1/2 liter German bottles. I have never had a problem with European or American bottles including Bud longnecks.

Off topic, but everytime i see a post from el pistolero and that picture under his name, i cant help but thinking that its a picture of him. :p

OtherWhiteMeat said:
Off topic, but everytime i see a post from el pistolero and that picture under his name, i cant help but thinking that its a picture of him. :p
It's pretty close. :D

Is that picture pre- or post your son passing his driving test? :)

I use a medieval capper...it's a hand capper with hammer deal...I'm always worrying about clouting the capper too hard, smashing a bottle and accidentally slitting my wrists :(

Are the two handled hand cappers not good then?

Back