Fizz Giz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huisek

Reaction score
I am pretty excited. I ordered a fizz giz II tonight. I look forward to trying out force carbing some of my recipes!!

No. I meant it for my mead. I don't make large enough batches to justify a keg so now I can try carbing small portions of my sweeter meads.

I looked into getting that. I use screw top bottles for my mead and even thought about getting a couple bags of the rubber nipple things to convert the screw tops into fiz giz caps. But that is as far as I got lol. Let us know how it works.

Do you know where you can order those from? I have yet to find any. Supposedly you can order more caps of varying quality from fizzgiz but I haven't found where

No. I meant it for my mead. I don't make large enough batches to justify a keg so now I can try carbing small portions of my sweeter meads.

After I posed I did go research and it does look interesting. I have been bottling all my mead and apfelwein with corks, but I bet a modified wine saver cork would also work. I will also be interested in your results.

I plan on transferring whatever beverage to a PET when ready for consumption then carbing it then

Well as I have no idea about what this "device" or whatever is, is

How about posting a link as it'd be interesting to see if there's any local equivalent.....

Www.fizzgiz.com

They offer the upgraded version on amazon which uses a bulk co2 tank.

The guy who makes them offers DIY instructions too on his site

I saw this earlier and I was wondering if it would be possible to modify a champagne stopper then force carb in a champagne bottle. A little research looks like champagne bottles can tolerate around 100psi and the Fizz Giz has a regulator on it that does not go above 55psi. You could then cool the bottle down and trad out the stopper for a real cork, right?

I might purchase one after the holidays unless someone thinks I might end up with shards of glass embedded in my skin :)

Your logic seems right to me though I would probably wear some safety gear and eye protection just in case. Better safe than sorry.

You could always carb it in plastic then transfer it to a champagne bottle and seal before it degasses. Kind of a rigged version of bottling from a keg. Not sure how it would work out though

Last edited by a moderator:
chachi44089 said:
If you keg with ball lock korny kegs this is the ticket. even if you dont keg but have co2 you can get the coupler for this for about 5 bucks at a homebrew store..
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064OKADS/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lp o-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B008071H8O&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX 0DER&pf_rd_r=0S2MVCZF67JXVZ67TF8R
http://www.amazon.com/Soda-Carbonater-Bottle-Liquid-Bread/dp/B003V5EY44

In order to use that I would need a regulator too though right? The fizz giz has a regulator in it

Yes you would need a regulator for the "carbonator". I just suggested it if you already had keg gear it would be a better way to go imo.
I would like to test a beer or soda force carbonated with either of those devices though:drunk:. Pretty cool.

I plan on transferring whatever beverage to a PET when ready for consumption then carbing it then

Kyle - there are some highly carbonated seltzers (up to 12 volumes of co2) sold in glass bottles of sufficient strength for carbonation use. Of course, champagnes are packaged in very strong bottles designed to "work well under pressure". I'm working on a champagne stopper that incorporates a FiZZ GiZ cap valve that will allow customers to use pretty much any champagne bottle as a carbonation vessel. Will try 2 keep U N the loop on developments. People have asked me about purging the head space in glass bottles. Since ya can't "burp 'em" the way ya can plastic bottles, they wanna know how it's accomplished. Well, like makin' a cup of coffee or a pitcher of tea, if it's gonna be consumed immediately, removing air (oxygen = enemy of food) is of no real importance. Of course, if you're bottling 40-cases of your finest that's gonna be stored for some period of time, it is very important to purge the headspace and create a pristine CO2-only environment above your carbonic creations. All U homebrew folks know the trick there is to cap on foam, baby. That'll do the trick, every time. Those delicious little bubbles are darned near 100% CO2-filled. So, when carbonating soda/seltzer/beer/wine/mead in a glass bottle, proceed as follows: First, carbonate to the desired level while making sure your CO2 is well mixed. Next, allow the beverage to settle a bit, then give 'er a jolt (shake/agitate) 'n crack the cap. When the bubbles fill the headspace, tighten the cap 'n store.

I saw this earlier and I was wondering if it would be possible to modify a champagne stopper then force carb in a champagne bottle. A little research looks like champagne bottles can tolerate around 100psi and the Fizz Giz has a regulator on it that does not go above 55psi. You could then cool the bottle down and trad out the stopper for a real cork, right?

I might purchase one after the holidays unless someone thinks I might end up with shards of glass embedded in my skin :)

Actually, the FiZZ GiZ hand-held black banana-shaped dispenser's built-in pressure regulator (shown here: ) provides a fully adjustable downstream pressure output range of 15-150 PSI. Here's how it's adjusted:

MikeSpike said:
Kyle - there are some highly carbonated seltzers (up to 12 volumes of co2) sold in glass bottles of sufficient strength for carbonation use. Of course, champagnes are packaged in very strong bottles designed to "work well under pressure". I'm working on a champagne stopper that incorporates a FiZZ GiZ cap valve that will allow customers to use pretty much any champagne bottle as a carbonation vessel. Will try 2 keep U N the loop on developments. People have asked me about purging the head space in glass bottles. Since ya can't "burp 'em" the way ya can plastic bottles, they wanna know how it's accomplished. Well, like makin' a cup of coffee or a pitcher of tea, if it's gonna be consumed immediately, removing air (oxygen = enemy of food) is of no real importance. Of course, if you're bottling 40-cases of your finest that's gonna be stored for some period of time, it is very important to purge the headspace and create a pristine CO2-only environment above your carbonic creations. All U homebrew folks know the trick there is to cap on foam, baby. That'll do the trick, every time. Those delicious little bubbles are darned near 100% CO2-filled. So, when carbonating soda/seltzer/beer/wine/mead in a glass bottle, proceed as follows: First, carbonate to the desired level while making sure your CO2 is well mixed. Next, allow the beverage to settle a bit, then give 'er a jolt (shake/agitate) 'n crack the cap. When the bubbles fill the headspace, tighten the cap 'n store.

Thanks for the advice. I can't wait for it to arrive. It will line up with a batch of hard lemonade that should be ready then

Actually, the FiZZ GiZ hand-held black banana-shaped dispenser's built-in pressure regulator (shown here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5jOt29kA8w) provides a fully adjustable downstream pressure output range of 15-150 PSI. Here's how it's adjusted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAnI6chYHHM

Thanks for the videos. I was aware of the built in pressure regulator and that was 'tipping point' for the decision to purchase one. I did not however realize it was adjustable. That's pretty cool.

I guess my main concern about force carbing a champagne bottle is that I find some what different pressure limits when searching Google. Most of the sites I find say that the bottles will hold about 5atm which is around the limits that the Fizz Giz comes pre-set at, if I'm not mistaken. I will say that I am nervous but certainly not scared enough to forgo trying :)

I finally will have time to go get my co2 tank filled tomorrow and try this thing out!! I have been too busy with the hilidays

Back