Making small recipe into large recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CEversole

Reaction score
This recipe was suggested from a fellow site member. It looks to make 1 gallon. I I want to turn this into a 4-5 gallon recipe can, I just up all ingredients by 4? I'm not sure that it is formulated that way and I just want to make sure. I will appreciate any help.

1 quart Mustang Grape juice
3 quarts water
1-3/4 lb granulated sugar
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 packet Champagne or Montrachet wine yeast

Yes, all ingredients except the yeast. 1 5g pack of yeast is enough to inoculate up to 6 gallons, or more if you make a starter.

Did the recipe include instructions and racking schedule?

I notice there is no Campdem Tablets or Pectin Enzyme listed in the ingredients. I recommend them though they are not required.

Good luck and post more questions as the arise.

Yes it did, they are as follows:

Dissolve sugar in water and add juice and yeast nutrient in primary fermentation vessel. Check Specific Gravity with hydrometer to ensure it is at least 1.090. If shy of this number, add additional sugar as required (see http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/hydrom.asp for table). Sprinkle yeast on top of must (do not stir into liquid) and cover with a clean cloth. Stir into liquid when evidence of fermentation is obvious. Ferment until S.G. drops to 1.020 or lower (6-7 days). Siphon off sediments into secondary and fit airlock. Rack every 30 days until wine clears, topping up each time. When wine clears, wait another 30 days, rack and bottle. If you want to sweeten the wine, stabilize before final racking, wait additional 10 days, rack, sweeten to taste, and bottle. This wine will be drinkable right away, but like all red wines it will improve with age. I would let it sit at least a year before drinking.

Thoughts

Just my opinion but I would eliminate all the water and replace with the juice. You are going to have "thin" wine if you add water.

The ratio is correct according to Jack Keller. Mustang grapes are really strong and acidic and you need to water them down. You can make a 1:2 ratio wine which will be a little stronger if you wish.

He has recipes for a 1:2 and 1:3. I have had mustang wine before, and I agree it needs to be watered down a bit first. They are much different than say "store bought" grapes.

Back