Octoberfest/Marzen kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose5

Reaction score
I remember running into an extract kit for an Octoberfest. But, it offered it with a Kolsch yeast so you didn't have to have all the extra equipment to control temperature. Is this a good idea? Can this be done with any octoberfest kit?

Just because it's an ale yeast doesn't mean you can ignore the temperature of fermentation (and subsequent conditioning). You can ferment any wort with any yeast strain and come up with a good beer as long as the fermentation is clean and complete; great beers happen when the fermentation is clean and complete and the yeast matches up well with the wort, IMO.

Absolutely can be done. I made an Oktoberfest (Ale) with S-05 and it was great. Kolsh yeast sounds good too.

I remember running into an extract kit for an Octoberfest. But, it offered it with a Kolsch yeast so you didn't have to have all the extra equipment to control temperature. Is this a good idea? Can this be done with any octoberfest kit?

I'm using WLP810 San Francisco Lager yeast instead of the Oktoberfest yeast from Wyeast that came with my kit since I don't have great temp control. This way it can still be a "lager"..

Sure that should work well using a Kolsch yeast. I would pitch a 2-3 L starter at the bottom end of the yeast temperature range (mid to upper 50's for WY 2565, low 60's for the White Labs strain). Keep the temp there for most of the fermentation. After the fermentation is about 80% complete, bring the temps up 7 or 8 degrees for a few days to finish and remove any diacetyl.

Kolsch yeast is very clean, but does not floc well. Transfer to secondary after 2-3 weeks. If you have a way to refrigerate in secondary for 3 weeks or so that would help. Or get it as cold as possible in the basement and then add some gelatin finings. Give that 3 weeks to do it's thing before bottling.

Back