photoshop help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxy007

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've got a photoshop template label (square) that has a large gap down either side. The gaps are transperant and it has grey and white checks on it. Are there any photoshop guru's who can help me remove the transperancy so I can see the label on the whole canvas without the gaps.
I can't post the label here cause I'm not a full member.

Cheers & Thanks

Maxy

If you want to keep these gaps and make them another color, just create a new layer and put it behind the layer that your label is on, then fill it with the color of your choice. If your design is locked and named "Background layer", just right click the layer and "duplicate layer". Then put the colored layer behind this duplicated layer.

If you want to get rid of the gaps, then just use the crop tool. You can adjust the box before finally cropping your image, so you can fine tune the crop area before pressing enter and cropping the image, which will reduce the canvas size and display just the area you specified using the crop tool.

I hope that helps! Post a pic of your label when you're finished :D
To post a label just use a website like http://imageshack.us/
Upload your label, then copy the "Hotlink for Forums" code and paste it into your post

Like so:
beerlabels2un5.jpg

You can delete the [ URL] [/ URL] tags if you don't want any intrusive hotlinks.

Also use the "Save As" options in Photoshop to resize your image accordingly so you can post it on a forum :)

yep just crop it, hit the "C" key on your keyboard draw you sqaure and hit enter

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your suggestions.
I tried the crop button and it doesn't select the whole picture. The crop tool sort of moves diaginal and not straight across.
If I get rid of the blank space at the sides, the blank space moves to the top and/or bottom.
Is that to do with Canvas size.

Cheers & Thanks

Maxy

up on your tools pallete your crop tool is set to a selected size (like 4x6), you need to uncheck that box and then drag out your side handles to the width and height of your label

Chrus said:
If you're looking to learn more about PS in general... theres this web show i watch called Pixel Perfect. Comes out once a week and the dude explains different stuff about PS and how it all works... worth checking out...

http://www.revision3.com/pixelperfect

Thanks Chrus,
As a new photoshop user the site will be a great help for me.

Cheers,

Maxy

mot said:
up on your tools pallete your crop tool is set to a selected size (like 4x6), you need to uncheck that box and then drag out your side handles to the width and height of your label

Thanks Mot,
That should do the trick :ban:

Cheers,

Maxy

there is tons and tons of tutorials on the web for PS and the creative Suite
pixel perfect
photoshop tv
lynda.com
a bunch of podcasts
search on google and you will be busy for a while

lynda.com is a good one, the basic ones are free and then you can pay for more advanc ed stuff

What is the difference between CS2 and Elements 5.0? Can you still make nice labels with 5.0?

Mike

blackcows said:
What is the difference between CS2 and Elements 5.0? Can you still make nice labels with 5.0?

Mike

Elements is a stripped down version that does not have alot of the extras. with that said, it is still a VERY capable graphics program and more than good enough for someone who is not a graphics artist or the like.

maxy007 said:
Hi Guys,
Thanks for your suggestions.
I tried the crop button and it doesn't select the whole picture. The crop tool sort of moves diaginal and not straight across.
If I get rid of the blank space at the sides, the blank space moves to the top and/or bottom.
Is that to do with Canvas size.

Cheers & Thanks

Maxy

Use the marquee tool (the doted line box), select the area you want to keep, and select Image> crop from the menu bar. PS will crop out the areas you did not select and appropriately adjust the image size (does not distort the image).

Back