Any reason "not" to add Pectolase?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Priemus

Reaction score
I know this is usually only added to Wine to clear it. But are there any drawbacks to adding this to beer to remove pectins from added, possilby boiled fruit or jam?

Many people will add pectolase, or pectinase to their fruit beers to help clarify it from boiling fruits. The boiling releases the pectins in the fruit creating a haze, the pectic enzymes (ie pectolase/pectinase) help to reduce the amount of pectin leading to a clearer beer.

I have heard that it is best to add it at the beginning of fermentation, because the enzyme has a low alcohol tolerance. So if your gravity is a bit higher, you may not notice much of a difference.

I have a Blonde that has been sitting on 12 lbs of strawberries for about 2 weeks, the berries were frozen and crushed, I never boiled them. However, last sample I drew to test SG looked like pink lemonade. I was contemplating adding some pectic enzyme to the fermenter, but I will rack to a tertiary clearing vessel and give it a week to see what it looks like before doing so.

I don't like putting enzymes and such in the beer, I try to stick to malt water hops yeast, fruit and spices only. I have even stopped using irish moss in the boil, getting a good hot and cold break aremuch more essential to a clear beer than anything else, yet boiled fruit does present a different type of problem. Use fresh fruit and freeze it for a few days, it will normally reduce the microbes to levels that the yeast can control on their own, plus you are more than likely going to add fruit to the secondary, so you'll have some alcohol in there to help prevent infections also.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer!

And yeah was planning of adding seconday with fruit, ill just skip in this case.

Back