Bottle Bombs... what to do :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ OMG that is sweet! Why have I never seen that here? Surely someone has done it.

First off, pk, I'm glad you guys are OK; pretty scary stuff. I've never experienced a bottle bomb, but after a recent experiment (repitching at bottling for the first time - an RIS) I may experience this before too long.

to OP: refrigerate beers immediately!

i would never use plastic for bottling. would you use a bucket for secondary? there's just far too many chances for infection due to difficulty sanitizing plastic. my $.02

jessup, I have bottled 4 five gallon batches over the past year in 2 liter soda bottles (they were all the same extract recipe; a British style pale ale). I do this when I am bringing beer to an event, and just serve it out of a pitcher. I have never had any problem with keeping the 2 liter soda bottles clean, and I have been using the same ones over & over again. When not in use, I just keep them filled with tap water.

I wouldn't use them to bottle a beer that I wanted to condition for a long time, but mainly because of concerns about oxygen permeability over time. But I have to say, I have been extremely pleased with the convenience of bottling this way.

For the record, I only use glass carboys, but mostly for aesthetic reasons; I keep them in a corner of my dining room. :mug:

Back