Need quick advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCalHB

Reaction score
I have my Belgian Wit in primary right now and the FG has been 1.014 for two days in a row now )suggested FG is 1.012). It has been in primary for a total of 23 days so far.

I leave tomorrow for an extended period of time and want to get this beer into bottles tonight. If I bottle tonight with the hydrometer test of 1.014 do I run the risk of bottle bombs or is this number close enough to the FG that I will be okay?? Your quick advice is appreciated.

I think you'll be fine. I travel half the week for work, so I run into this CONSTANTLY. Since I'm not home long enough every week to really be able to worry about the gravity like I should, I try to time it so that I bottle it no earlier than 21 days. Out of a normal 3 day stretch at home, I try to time it so day 1 at home is day 21. It give me just a hint of elbow room if I need an extra day or so, but its about the best I can do given my situation. I still take a gravity reading through. If it seems too high from the estimated, then it sits for another week and I check it again. So far so good, and no bottle bombs. I know. I just jinxed myself.

How long is your "extended period of time?" 'Cuz if it's not long enough for your airlock to run dry, there's no reason not to wait until you get back to bottle.

How long is your "extended period of time?" 'Cuz if it's not long enough for your airlock to run dry, there's no reason not to wait until you get back to bottle.

Heck, I probably would have bottled yesterday and brewed another batch today. When I got home, I would be that much closer to a batch ready to drink and another that much closer to bottling.

Heck, I probably would have bottled yesterday and brewed another batch today. When I got home, I would be that much closer to a batch ready to drink and another that much closer to bottling.

Yeah 23 days is definitely long enough; my point was just that if he was going to be gone for a week or 10 days and had something else to do tonight; he'd be fine either way.

Thanks for the tip osagedr... I will be gone just under 2 weeks. I more so wanted to bottle tonight so I can free up my primary and brew up a batch tonight, that way when I get home from my trip it will be ready to transer to secondary (fruit beer) and I wont be 2 weeks behind in quest to start a pipeline. I guess its just me being a little impatient, but what can you do.

go for it. If you bottle before you leave, they'll hopefully be mostly carbed when you get back! I'm def. all about keeping the pipeline moving!

Oh its gonna be a REALLY late night... I forgot to take my yeast out of the fridge!! I took it out an hour ago so I cant use it for another 4, at least. A long night well worth it, however. I have a feeling most of you guys would agree.

Oh yea, and thanks for the well wishes on the trip, but, I'm going to Disneyland with wifey and daughter.. I'm gonna need all the beer I can get when I get home, that is, if I dont slit my wrist after the fourth straight day at Disneyland! Drink beers for me.

Back