working on an IIPA....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewhoner

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a quality tasting IIPA. I've brewed one that has turned out pretty decent (It's been bottled a week and I cant stop opening one to see how it has turned out everyday) and I wanted to improve upon it. I have a couple issues and was looking for advice....

1- I only have a 20 qt pot, so I have been working with 2 gallon boils. Would I be best off making a 2.5 gal batch and using 3 gallons to boil (all my 5 gallon batches have a watered down flavor to them)

2- I plan on using the late extract method, so I will be toning down the hops usage. But I was REALLY concerned about bringing up some sweetness to balance out the bitterness. I like the hop combination, but it is lacking something... I used crystal 20 only, and was wondering if I would be better off adding another grain OR if I'd be better off adding more DME.

I have been thinking about scaling the recipe down to 2.5 gallons, and mixing crystal 20 and another grain. I just don't really know what other grains I could use to add more sweetness without taking away from the bitterness. My target gravity is between 1.085 and 1.090, so should I be using 2 vials of WPL001?

I plan on keeping it in one fermenter for about 4 weeks.

any advice is greatly appreciated!

Ok. try steeping crytal 60 vienna and munich 1lb to 2 at 150 for 30min in 2 gal. Bring to a boil remove from heat mix all your extract add a little water. As it starts to boil scoop off the foam (hot break) add water to get your boil close to the top of the pot. Try corn sugar to up gravity or more extract mix slow until u get boil back. Add hops try galena 2oz for 60min then chinook 1oz for 10 min. Cool and pitch as usual wait and enjoy. Cheers. J

Your current batch might be a lot better than you realize. If you’re trying one everyday and it’s only been a week in the bottle it’s still really green. Just curious, how long did it ferment before you bottled it? If you’re drinking an IIPA that was brewed less than a month ago you’re doing it a huge injustice.

Your current batch might be a lot better than you realize. If you’re trying one everyday and it’s only been a week in the bottle it’s still really green. Just curious, how long did it ferment before you bottled it? If you’re drinking an IIPA that was brewed less than a month ago you’re doing it a huge injustice.

It was fermented for about 4 weeks and a day or two. I am rushing it a bit I know :( but I'm just so eager.

The easiest way to improve on the current batch is to leave it alone.. It's still really green... Give it a month in the bottle and it will be night and day with that you are tasting now... You may not need to change anything.

Back