Amerikan lager recipe HOPS whadua think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HangLoose

Reaction score
Going for an American Pils style beer. Though I'm more worried about making good lite beer then sticking to any style. Looking for nice hop flavor with a smooth bitterness over a lite, light, dry beer, with a mild malt flavor. Something BMCish but with nice taste that I can be proud of. I'm most worried about how to hop it. I know Cascade is a weirdish hop here but I like its taste. I'm defiantly open to other hops, I have Saaz, citra, Chinook, Sorachi Ace hops, Hallerauer, Amarillo, and US Golding. Here's my recipe:

72% efficiency
90 min mash ~152 *f
batch sparge
90 min boil to reduce dms
2 pack Safelager 30/70 dry lager yeast pitched at like 60*f or so
Ferment at around 50*f for a long time...
lager in 30's for two weeks or longer

6.5 gal batch
8.5 lbs American pils
2 lbs uncle Ben's rice
2 lbs Vienna malt
.5 lbs cara pils

1oz Hallerauer FWH
.5 oz Cascade? @60 min
1 oz Cascade? @5ish min

So what do you think?

Oh BTW this is going to be about 5% abv. The style I'm looking for is sorta half way between a European Pis and an American lager; light and clean with a nice smooth hop bitterness and a mild hop taste on top. Really though I'm lost with the timing. :( I mean whats the real difference between a 60min addition and a 30min addition of equal IBU (aside from the face that a 30min will require more hops obviously)?

Latest posts

Back