Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is hopefully my new brew buddy, met him tonight,he's cool! 2 year old Shar-pei/ basset mix, waiting on my background check.

Hahaha! He's cool! He has that glimmer of "TROUBLE" in his eyes!!! I bet with the mix he has a great disposition! Kudos on the Rescue choice!

Hahaha! He's cool! He has that glimmer of "TROUBLE" in his eyes!!! I bet with the mix he has a great disposition! Kudos on the Rescue choice!
Thanks.
He's a work in progress, needs a bit of training but he's plenty intelligent so he'll pick up on it quickly.
Can't wait to get him, will be taking a long weekend to get him used to his new home.

Its great seeing all these rescue dogs! I wanted to update on my own rescue puppy. A few of you thought she would grow into the ears...no dice. Which I am cool with. She is still only about 25 lbs. And almost 1 year old.

She's changed a lot since we got her. She was very quiet and timid. Four months later, the dog is a nutjob haha. Wouldn't change a thing about her. Rough houses and cuddles. Learns quick. Still a little timid around strangers, but she will get over it.

Anyhow, what a rewarding experience for my wife and I. As well as the dog!

1392959639677.jpg

1392960054487.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393485139.100032.jpg
Here we have Odin The Destroyer, one of the very very few cane corsos in Scotland, wondering if he can please get up on the bed for some cuddles.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Great looking CC! I think they look way better with floppy ears. I wish they wouldn't box the ears here in America.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thank you very much! I'm not a big fan of cropped ears either. He's a heck of a dog, that's him ten years old now and he's still going strong, although he's got less roguish and more gentlemanly with age. :)

I'm always happy to see dogs with their ears and tails intact. There's no reason to chop them off dogs anymore. It's a fashion issue and nothing more. Cruel and inhumane.

I'm always happy to see dogs with their ears and tails intact. There's no reason to chop them off dogs anymore. It's a fashion issue and nothing more. Cruel and inhumane.

Tail docking is now illegal here too, he was one of the last to get it done.

I'm not a fan of it either, but many hunters who love their dog very much would strongly disagree with you about the tail clipping. German short haired pointer is a good example, and a great family dog.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

I'm not a fan of it either, but many hunters who love their dog very much would strongly disagree with you about the tail clipping. German short haired pointer is a good example, and a great family dog.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

They can disagree all they want. It won't make them right. Mutilating a dog for any reason is just twisted.

Well, maybe, but once I saw a spaniel who had to have his tail amputated after he injured while working, and he suffered quite a lot. Apparently, they damage their tales quite often while working. Tail docking can prevent a lot of unnecessary suffering. But I totally agree that to do it for cosmetic reasons is wrong.

Same with the spurs, get rid of them. Same with my wisdom teeth. Same with getting a dog fixed. You're helping them. IMHO... and I don't mean to jack this thread.

tail docking is preventative health care in a lot of cases. You shouldn't generalize like that if you don't understand things.

tail docking is preventative health care in a lot of cases. You shouldn't generalize like that if you don't understand things.

You shouldn't rationalize people mutilating dogs for the sake of their own hobbies. Tell me one situation where dogs should have their tails and/or ears chopped off for a reason of legit preventative health care? And "avoiding injury" for some activity is not legitimate health care.

^quit being such a diva, cat...

I just asked for some follow up on the claim that cutting tails off dogs prevents some medical problem later in life. I'd like to hear an example of some rampant tail disease that strikes down dogs for no reason.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393797087.930356.jpg

This is Stella, my 10 month old soft coated wheaten terrier. She's a handful but it's all worth it when she wants to snuggle up close for a nap.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393797194.127930.jpg

This was her the day I got her, 8 weeks old...

You shouldn't rationalize people mutilating dogs for the sake of their own hobbies. Tell me one situation where dogs should have their tails and/or ears chopped off for a reason of legit preventative health care? And "avoiding injury" for some activity is not legitimate health care.

My boxer growing up had the ears done and tail done, but my current adopted one only has the tail done. My current one probably would have chewed her tail off by now as she's a spaz. I like the droopy ears so if I had a puppy I wouldn't crop them, but the tail is a whole nother story.

1393798937776.jpg

I just asked for some follow up on the claim that cutting tails off dogs prevents some medical problem later in life. I'd like to hear an example of some rampant tail disease that strikes down dogs for no reason.

Although I'm not sure I consider this a good reason, it might fall into this category. Some breeds, for example, British Bulldogs can have a corkscrew tail, which can make toilet activities a bit of a problem, so they are docked. Personally, I don't think selective breeding which allows this sort of mutation should be pursued in the first place, but the horse has already bolted, so it's too late to **** the stable door.

This is Stella, my 10 month old soft coated wheaten terrier. She's a handful but it's all worth it when she wants to snuggle up close for a nap.

This was her the day I got her, 8 weeks old...

Beautiful dog. Just out of curiosity how much does she weigh?

Attachments

• 1393807221296.jpg
    1393807221296.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 155
Back