Kiss Ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttugly

Ugly AND Old
Reaction score
I'm looking for a simple AG IPA. Preferably one grain, no more than two. Also, using one variety of hops for everything. Being a real hophead, the more hops the better.

I swear I've seen a recipe like this on the forum but I can't find it now.

HELP!

I don't do any AG stuff, but a few articles I was reading suggested that a minimum of two grains be used for a pale ale base: mostly 2-row pale malt and some crystal malt for color, body, etc.

I know cascade is a versatile, highly used hop if you wanted to use only a single hop. There are also some newer, higher AA content hops generating a lot of talk--simcoe and amarillo. You may want to check them out.

The March-April 2006 issue of BYO talks about the basic components of a pale ale and constructing solid recipe. It might be a good resource if you can get your hands on it.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and BREW ON:mug:

I am sure you could do one with 10-12 lbs of 2 row, a pound of crystal 40 or toasted malt, and 3 ounces of Centennial or Nugget, or 4 ounces of cascade and it would be quite tasty....

I don't know that an IPA could be done with only one variety of grain. I'd be interested to see a recipe that only calls for one variety.

For me, I like hops as much as the next person, but what I don't like is the overwhelming flavor of a single strain of hops (e.g. Bigfoot Barleywine or the recent New Belgium release Skinny Dip). I suppose that's just personal taste, though, so you could always get away with a single strain of hop.

I think the minimum for an IPA would be 2 grains: something like 11 lbs 2-row and .5 to 1 lb crystal of some sort.

My first choice for a single hopped beer would be a very intense and complex flavored hop like Columbus, Centennial, or Simcoe.

Also, if you like Anchor Steam, it is a single hop brew w/ Northern Brewer. That should tell you whether you'd want to try Northern Brewer for your IPA. I think Bells makes an all-Centennial IPA.

I have an all-columbus APA conditioning right now. I'm excited about it--it also used a little more complex brain bill, with a lb of munich in addition to the 2-row and a couple different crystal malts.

Yeah, I'd say crystal is vital for an IPA.

Hop-wise I tried a full 4oz of Centennial on its own and it was pretty good. It wasn't very good at bittering, oddly enough.

Why look for a recipe? Try making your own in promash within the recipe guidelines.

A quick derivation:

7 lbs. light DME
0.5 lb Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt
0.5 lb C-20

1 oz Columbus @ 60 min
1 oz Cascade @ 15 min
1 oz Cascade @ 5 min
1 oz Cascade @ flameout

1 tsp Irish Moss @ 15 min

Wyeast 1056 American Ale
(or Wyeast 1272)

bottle with 3/4 cp corn sugar

I have made a version of The Standard IPA, subbing extract for some of the grain, and it came out great! My next IPA is going to be a full AG version of it. The recipe comes highly reccomended. :)

Back