The standard "My mead hasn't started fermenting?" thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ignatiusvienna

Reaction score
Hey folks. Been four days and I do not believe my mead has started fermenting. This is my first mead, and as a noob I am nervous. Here's the recipe and proceedure:

I boiled 2 gallons of water and 17lbs of honey for 15 minutes. As it cooled, I added 1 tablespoon of yeast nutrient, vanilla extract, orange extract and some spices. I poured the must into a primary fermentor having an additional 3 gallons of water and added 2 cups of raisins. I stirred the must heavily and added 1.5 packs of D47 yeast (I had followed the package directions of hydrating the yeast in 2oz of 100 degree water for 15 minutes, then pitched). I took a hydrometer reading of 1.122.

I've left the fermentor in a dark closet with a temp of roughly 72 degrees. It's been four days. I checked the airlock and found almost no bubbles (I know this might not be the best judge). I took another hydrometer reading...it reads 1.130 (I am assuming the must hadn't fully settled or something).

I'm worried that the fermentation as not started or I messed this up. I know yeast and mead is very tricky. I have half a pack of D47 left.

Thoughts on what to do?????

Wouldn't hurt to open it up and mix it up really well, making sure to introduce as much oxygen as possible while you do.

Before it starts fermenting, I would suggest lowering the temperature below 68F. D47 is not meant to be used in higher temperatures as it produces off tastes (your mead might taste like spaceship fuel).
Are you sure the yeast was viable? Did it foam when you rehydrated it?
When you pitched it in, at what temperature was the must?
I'd try to aerate the must... perhaps it would start, then...
Keep us posted, brother!

PS: Its often recommended not to boil honey. It's not necessary as it is a natural antiseptic and it destroys some aromas.

The temperature was roughly 70 degrees when I pitched it...pretty sure, though could have been higher.

It foamed a decent amount when I rehydrated it...but not as much as other packs of yeast.

Should I aerate it again and add remaining must....and put in in my cooler basement (roughly 67-69 degrees now)?

Get totally new yeast and try again?

I went to aerate it once again , and found a thin gray foam that wasn't there yesterday. Looks similar to beer fermentation. Should I now just leave it??

Sounds like its just lagging a bit more than usual.

The lower temp suggested is spot on. Its a good yeast but does tend to produce a lot of fusels above 70F.

Just keep aerating the hell out of it at least once a day until you hit the 1/3rd sugar break.......

The air/O2 is for yeast health/development......

Back