How long are your beer lines? I have foamy beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctareef

Reaction score
Hey everyone-
Just curious how long your lines are for Draft beer dispensing in your kegerators. I always feel like I have too much pressure and foam even when the regulator is set at 8psi. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

Beer line length is determined by the serving temperature of your beer and the volumes of C02 needed at that temperature to keep your beer properly carbonated. Beer line commonly has a restriction of around 2.5-3 psi per foot. If your beer needs 12 psi of to maintain carbonation you would need 4-5 feet of beer line. Do a quick search on balancing a draft system. Lots of great information is out there.

20feet and 25 feet of 3/16th line (one is designed for beer, one is ice-maker poly line). Temps I run are around 40-42f, and I'm up around 11-12psi usually. Pours are great from both taps, but the 25foot poly line is pretty slow. Takes a good 20 seconds to fill a pint glass. The 20 foot line takes half that, but neither foam up at all now.

The flip to that is my 25 foot line makes a GREAT bottle-from-the-keg tap, without making any adjustments to pressure at all.

I have an 8 tap setup. I made all my beer lines 6' long and run at 10 to 12 psi until the beer is fully carbonated. Then I back down to 5 or 6 psi. I keep the kegerator at 35 degrees and I get nice pours with this setup.

Here's a video of my build if you are interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
10' usually at 12 psi and I generally have it set and forget. I had nothing but problems when I had 5' lines and would have to drop pressure way down to get a decent pour.

10 feet for me, serving at 12-14PSI at about 38. I expect you will see 10 feet coming out as the most common answer here.

Back