Fermentation appears to be finished, should I bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfmancilla

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I am new to homebrewing, I just started to brew my first batch.
Some details about it: I used malt extract to brew an Amber Ale. I was thinking on using only one step of fermentation. I am using Muntons Ale Yeast. The storing temperature was a little bit high, between 70F and 72F.

I started fermenting on Saturday and I had a lot of activity in the airlock for the first 24 hours, but then it stopped.
After reading many threads here I learned that not seeing bubbles is not a problem but that I should take a hydrometer read.
My OG was a little bit high, it was around 1.08. I waited 4 days and today I took a read and it is at 1.01

Does this mean that fermentation has stopped? If it did, is there any problem with my beer?

I have tasted it and it tastes fine (not great but not bad at all), it is a little flat but I think that is OK given that I have not added priming sugar yet (I have not botlted it yet).

My question is: if the fermentation has stopped, should I just go and bottle the beer already? or should I wait so that it completes 1 week, or maybe 2? What are the risks of bottling it right now or waiting?

Thank you all for your help.
Take care and cheers!
Juan

Take a gravity reading on consecutive days. If you get the same reading for three days, you CAN botttle.

Your beer will probably be better if you leave it a little longer - the yeast clean up waste products an such - but you CAN bottle once gravity is stable.

If you bottle before fermentation is done, you risk bottles that explode due to pressure (aka bottle bombs). If you wait, you risk making better beer.

Note that many of the vets here say to leave a beer alone for at least three weeks before you even think about bottling. Your mileage may vary.

You will get a better, cleaner and clearer beer if you keep it in the fermenter 3 weeks. Patience is second only to cleanliness in the brewers skill set.

patience_grasshopper.jpg

Fermentation is done when two consecutive SG readings are exactly the same (corrected for temperature) when taken 3 days apart. It is recommended to leave the beer on the yeast for 2-3 weeks before bottling. Kits and new brewers always try to rush to the bottle. It's best to just let it sit.

Most likely yes if you have to bottle now. But as stated before. Longer is better.

Thank you very much for your quick responses.
I will wait and also take more measures to check on the beer in a couple days.
Thanks again.

Back