JSP Malt Mill Emergency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCNbeer

Reaction score
I haven't brewed since the summer and I was going to today. I broke out my mill and its not cracking the grain. Both rollers spin, so they aren't rusted shut. Its like the free standing one just isn't getting the force it needs to roll from the grain. I crank the handle without grain and the handle roller spins, but when I put grain in the hopper the handle spins but not the mill. I sprayed WD40 on the outer joint things, but still no luck. Any advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Sounds like you need take it apart and clean the rollers with a brass wire brush. The reason I say brass and use it on my own mill is so that you won't transfer "rust" to your rollers from other metal projects. I'd watch using the WD40, you DO NOT want that on your grains. Your mill already has oil impregnated bronze bearings. Just give it a good cleaning, put it back together and get your gap set. Usually cleaning will get the dead roller going. After I use my mill I use compressed air to clean it and so far no problems. Sometimes the dust will set up on the knurls causing the dead roller not to pick up the grain. By keeping it clean after you mill it'll be ready the next time. Hope this info helps.

Sounds like you need take it apart and clean the rollers with a brass wire brush. The reason I say brass and use it on my own mill is so that you won't transfer "rust" to your rollers from other metal projects. I'd watch using the WD40, you DO NOT want that on your grains. Your mill already has oil impregnated bronze bearings. Just give it a good cleaning, put it back together and get your gap set. Usually cleaning will get the dead roller going. After I use my mill I use compressed air to clean it and so far no problems. Sometimes the dust will set up on the knurls causing the dead roller not to pick up the grain. By keeping it clean after you mill it'll be ready the next time. Hope this info helps.

I'm going to try that out. I need to start blasting it with air after I use it instead of brushing it off and letting it sit. Thanks for your help!

Back