Mead in fermenter for *months*....!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
I hate to admit it, but I kept a mead batch in its fermenter vessel for months now.
Every single bit has really settled now...!

I pan on bottling it this weekend, without even racking to second vessel.

- Did I hurt it much sitting for so long?

- Or, will it eventually correct itself over time?

What is "months"?

2, 3, 5, 12, 36?

Months can mean a lot of things but means little without more context.

Of course, you "could" always taste it and find out for yourself. Right?

Do you really think the vikings would rack to a secondary vessel before they quaffed their mead?
You'll be fine.

I bet the vikings would drink piss if it had a high enough alcohol content. :)

Seriously though - the only way to really tell is to take a sample. I've "heard" leaving on primary lees is less than good, but haven't experienced it myself to find out.

Taste it, if it's good - bottle it. If it's bad, bottle some of it (if you don't want to bottle it all) and let it sit another 6-12 months and see if it improves.

Tell me its up high? can you rack without moving the sediment? I'd hate to see all that time wasted by the lees lifting!

Tell me its up high? can you rack without moving the sediment? I'd hate to see all that time wasted by the lees lifting!

Sediment was packed, and it stayed at the very bottom.
Bottling was a breeze, all done, thanks all for your advice!

I think I used Cote des Blancs yeast. It is quite smooth and pleasing now, hoping it will even get mellower with time.

BTW, it looks like it sat about 9 months on the lees (!), and I only moved the fermenter twice.

Back