Howdy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeski3d

Reaction score
I'm a noob to the home brew but my GF and I were talking and, surprisingly, she loves the idea. So I naturally have a ton of questions.

She loves the lagers. I think, in an effort to keep her interest in the project, that I should shoot for something that is similar to Becks. I heard that brewing lagers is more difficult but, like I said before, I'm a total noob here. I favor the IPAs and hearty brews.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting some good advise and leads from the brew-mister veterans here.

Party on. :mug:

Try a golden ale or a light pale ale. If she helps she will be excited to try it. I would go light on the hops and do my very best to make it as light of the esters as I could for her. There will be many batches in the future to get her converted to the bitter side, but only if you take it easy. There are tons of simply but great recipes we can get you.

Welcome to HBT.

Welcome to HBT.

Lagers are difficult because of the temp required. You need a dedicated fridge or temp controlled cabinet. Ales are more forgiving in temp range. Golden ales are light and crisp, she may like them.

If this is your first brew I would recommend a kit. Austin Homebrew Supply has a good selection.

Welcome! The best thing you can do starting out is to read and research. I posted a blog about what I would buy if I was starting over. The first thing I would suggest is going to your local library and renting some books on brewing. I like How to Brew by John Palmer.

Thank you Brewpastor, Clonefarmer for the warm welcome!

Thanks for that! I've got a great supplier not far from me so I'll be able to get my gear without having to pay shipping, or worse, waiting. :)

I'll scope this out for the low-down on what I need though. Would you recommend a glass or plastic fermenter?

Back