Solenoid Valves for Brutus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

datamike

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am starting down the road that many of you have already taken - that is building my own system.

It will be similar to a Brutus/Morebeer system, with a few changes of my own which I'll get to in a later post.

For now though I'd like to get your thoughts on some solenoid valves. I'd get the Asco redhat's, but the only ones currently available are really pricey.

So, check this out:

STC 2 way normally closed solenoid valve, 1/2" npt 120/60 volts AC

and the specs:

Solenoid Valve Specifications and Dimensions

As far as I can tell they are essentially the same as the Ascos, just much cheaper.

Thanks!
Michael

Thanks for the info guys!

BTW, the specs list the connector type as "DIN", and I don't see any external wiring as with the ASCOs. Do I need anything special to hook them up?

Michael

Thanks for the info guys!

BTW, the specs list the connector type as "DIN", and I don't see any external wiring as with the ASCOs. Do I need anything special to hook them up?

Michael

You shouldn't. When you get the valve, you'll see a screw-head on side of the black plastic part... you unscrew that and it releases a "plug" from the valve (on the left side in the picture you linked). You then and pop out a little piece that'll then have three wire connectors with tiny bolts to accept the wiring. There should also be a wiring diagram with the small amount of paperwork that'll come with it. It's really easy.

Perfect info! Thanks!

Michael

You shouldn't. When you get the valve, you'll see a screw-head on side of the black plastic part... you unscrew that and it releases a "plug" from the valve (on the left side in the picture you linked). You then and pop out a little piece that'll then have three wire connectors with tiny bolts to accept the wiring. There should also be a wiring diagram with the small amount of paperwork that'll come with it. It's really easy.

"For use with air, water, light oil and gas (non-petroleum)."

Ok, I honestly don't know: does Propane fall into the "ok to use with" category?

Cheers!

I had the same issue. Went with ebay valves4projects (http://stores.ebay.com/valves4projects). New 1/2" SS valve for $41 each. I have these on my Brutus-10 system, work great.

IMAG0072 - Copy.jpg

The 1/2" works well (same as Lonnie Mac's design using the ASCO valves). I use 15 gal kettles, 10-11 gal batches. I use the 23 tip jet burner. My son has a similar Brutus 10 system and he uses the 1/2" valve on the banjo burner. Plenty of heat.

Hope this helps.

The 1/2" works well (same as Lonnie Mac's design using the ASCO valves). I use 15 gal kettles, 10-11 gal batches. I use the 23 tip jet burner. My son has a similar Brutus 10 system and he uses the 1/2" valve on the banjo burner. Plenty of heat.

Hope this helps.

Hey Jimmy, thanks for replying.

I'm looking to use the banjo burners like your son. Do you know what pressure regulator he uses? Thanks!

"For use with air, water, light oil and gas (non-petroleum)."

Ok, I honestly don't know: does Propane fall into the "ok to use with" category?

Cheers!

I would guess that petroleum includes natural gas, propane, butane, etc. Will the valve allow the gas through when it is energized? Sure. Is it correct for the application "according to the manufacturer"? Probly not. Personally I would use a valve made for flammable gases.

I agree with this thread, FWIW.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/solenoids-gas-make-me-nervous-vs-gas-control-valves-368174/

I would guess that petroleum includes natural gas, propane, butane, etc. Will the valve allow the gas through when it is energized? Sure. Is it correct for the application "according to the manufacturer"? Probly not. Personally I would use a valve made for flammable gases.

I agree with this thread, FWIW.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/solenoids-gas-make-me-nervous-vs-gas-control-valves-368174/

From most setups I've seen, they all have a manual "needle valve" that is designed for gas before the solenoid so I don't think it matters that it isn't specifically for that application.

From most setups I've seen, they all have a manual "needle valve" that is designed for gas before the solenoid so I don't think it matters that it isn't specifically for that application.

What? You realize that these valves typically use a diaphragm that might dissolve if exposed to things it's not capable of resisting, yes? Then you have a valve that doesn't actually close.

Which is why I asked. And from the reading I've done since, I don't think the specific valves mentioned are safe to use with propane or NG, though the same manufacturer makes versions that use a different diaphragm material that is safe to use with petroleum products...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
What? You realize that these valves typically use a diaphragm that might dissolve if exposed to things it's not capable of resisting, yes? Then you have a valve that doesn't actually close.

Which is why I asked. And from the reading I've done since, I don't think the specific valves mentioned are safe to use with propane or NG, though the same manufacturer makes versions that use a different diaphragm material that is safe to use with petroleum products...

Cheers!

Well since quite a few people use these on their brutus stands, since the diaphragm will only be exposed to pressure and propane for a few hours at a time and since these are a third of the cost of ASCO valves I will be giving them a shot!

You did mention the seller having valves specific for petroleum products, do you have a link to that so I can check them out? Thank you!

Back