San star and bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tielson's

Reaction score
what a good way to sanitize bottles using this stuff? can it be mixed with water?

It has to be mixed with water. Make up a batch in a plastic tub and dunk the bottles, 30 seconds of contact is MORE THAN ENOUGH to sanitize. And, Don't fear the foam!! There are a couple of other threds about star san as well.. enjoy!

I mix up 5 gallons of Star San solution in a bucket (1 oz Star San concentrate in 5 gallons of water).

I clean 12 bottles with oxy clean and then sink them to the bottom of the Star San bucket.

I then clean the next 12 bottles with oxy clean.

I gently pour the Star San from the bottles back into the bucket. I pour gently because I don't want a lot of foam in the sanitized bottles. Then hang the sanitized bottles on a (sanitized) bottle tree.

Then the next 12 clean bottles go in the bucket to sanitize while I clean 12 more. And so on.

I can clean and sanitize 50 bottles like this in about 45 minutes if I'm moving slow.

Tielson's said:
what a good way to sanitize bottles using this stuff? can it be mixed with water?

I take it you've never used star san or read the label? star san HAS to be diluted to proper concentration...1oz to 5 gallons of water.

I only make about 2.5 gallons at a time, and use it for several days before tossing it.

its probably THE best sanitizer out there.

I clean my bottles then sanitize using StarSan and one of these:
http://pivo.northernbrewer.com/nbstore/action/search-do?searchTerm=vinator
bottlerinser.jpg
Works like a charm and is VERY fast. A couple of pumps and everything is sanitary.

I too use this tool. What a speed monster it is. I love that tool. I think it cost 15 bucks and it saves load of time. +1

+1 on the vinator tool. It is a quick & easy way to sanitize.

Although Yuri's garden sprayer is a neat idea too. Like Yuri, I use my dishwasher in lieu of a bottle tree.

does the dishwasher have to say sanitize or will the water be hot enough alone?

You don't really clean bottles in the dishwasher. The mouths of the bottles are too small to guarantee that water and/or dishwashing liquid has gotten in there or has been properly rinsed out. You can run clean bottles through a sanitize cycle on your dishwasher if it has one (an NSF certified cycle is even better).

Many people (me included) just clean and sanitize separately and use the dishwasher as a drying rack. If you've just finished a wash cycle and removed the clean dishes, the dishwasher should be plenty sanitary. I also bottle on the open dishwasher door. There's plenty of room, and any spills or liquid overrun can just be tipped into the dishwasher.

Chad

edit: solecism

Tielson's said:
does the dishwasher have to say sanitize or will the water be hot enough alone?

its not the water doing the sanitizing, its the heat drying at the end of the cycle.
water doesn't get into the bottles real well in a dishwasher.

I have to disagree about the diswasher. I've done 2 or 3 cases of bottles in the dishwasher to clean them after drinking and I've never had a dirty bottle after. Maybe I just got lucky. I keg now though.

MrShake said:
I have to disagree about the diswasher. I've done 2 or 3 cases of bottles in the dishwasher to clean them after drinking and I've never had a dirty bottle after. Maybe I just got lucky. I keg now though.
A dishwasher does a moderate job of cleaning bottles. I usually run my bottles through the washer before sanitizing using the vinator described earlier. However I have had a bottle or two that was not rinsed after emptying that still had junk in the bottom after the dishwasher. I didn't notice the junk until the vinator flushed it from the bottle.
I haven't used StarSan but the vinator works real well with idophor.
Craig

Tielson's said:

Here's my process:
I mix 2 1/2 gal Star San at a time in a bucket I can close tightly( 1/2 T to 2 1/2 gal.) I've kept it as long as a month as long as it remains clear. I use same solution through the whole batch from boil to bottling. Bucket must be tightly closed
The Star San tech sheet says:

"When solution begins to cloud, sweeten with Star San or Phosphoric Acid. Solution must remain at a pH at 3 or below to maintain proper sanitizing level."
I think the tech sheet or some source says if you use distilled water it will last longer. I use RO water.

1. If my bottles are dirty or have labels, I soak them over night in a solution of 1 c household ammonia to 5 gal water. Labels slide right off (most of them) and crud either rinses out or will brush out. I do a quick rinse as I take them out.
2. I rinse w/hot water using a rinsing wand.
3. I immediately dip them into my bucket of Star San letting about 1/2 c into bottle and shake vigorously. Drain - this leaves foam in bottle which is sanitizing in itself. Put on bottle tree.
4. Fill.

I'm completely sold on Star San

Back