question about force carb.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miatawnt2b

Reaction score
I am really considering force carbonating my beers, but I am wondering what effects the lack of the priming sugar will have on the beer flavor.

For instance, I am going to be brewing a chocolate stout that I am supposed to prime with 1.25 cups (for 5 gal) of wheat DME. If I force carbonate, do I still add this DME or skip it altogether? I would imagine that skipping it is going to change the beer, no?

-J

I was just concerned about the flavor that the wheat DME is going to give the stout. Since almost everything I've seen already uses LDME or corn sugar for priming, I thought that the priming wheat DME may be important to the flavor of the stout.

-J

Don't prime. Force carbing is a cleaner finished product. I do 10-gallon batches and at first I would force carb one keg while priming the other.

Innevitably, the primed keg would take on a distinct "homebrewed" twang. A very yeasty like bite.

Even friends would comment. Stick to the brewsheet recipe and don't worry about imparting additional flavors with late priming additions.

Agreed. My force carbed beer has tasted cleaner than almost any of my bottle conditioned brews. The only notable exceptions are ones that either a) should be yeasty (hefe) or b) should be bottle conditioned (saison).

I don't like the taste of corn sugar, and refuse to use it in ANY recipe. I tried priming bottles with DME once and I definately didn't like the taste of it.

miatawnt2b said:
I was just concerned about the flavor that the wheat DME is going to give the stout. Since almost everything I've seen already uses LDME or corn sugar for priming, I thought that the priming wheat DME may be important to the flavor of the stout.

-J

Its probably more of a personal preference/brewing style that the recipe's originator uses. You'd need a dog's nose and I don't know what type of tongue to detect 1.25 cups of wheat DME in a 5 gallon batch.

malkore said:
...You'd need a dog's nose and I don't know what type of tongue to detect 1.25 cups of wheat DME in a 5 gallon batch.
It's less the actual sugar or DME that y ou detect, than it is the yeast that gets kicked back up and just sits there in your finished product.

I rarely prime and when I do it's because I'm making a clone kit that included priming sugar. I used to stash the sugar, but realized I never did anything with it, so in it goes. Haven't noticed any difference in flavor.

Back