Is my understanding on priming correct?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catshark

Reaction score
So what I plan to do is make a sugar solution by boiling a sucrose and water solution (not sure on the amounts) and adding it to a secondary bucket with my fermented brew, sealing it and leaving it at 18-22 degrees for aboiut a fortnight, then bottle it and refridgerate for 48 hours. Is this right? Any obvious no no's?

thankyou

Most people will tell you to boil your priming solution, let it cool then add it to a bottling bucket. Google priming sugar calculator for amounts.

You want to bottle immediately after racking the beer to your bottling bucket and adding the priming sugar. If you wait two weeks to bottle the yeast will eat all the sugar and there will be nothing left to make carbonation.

Not sure if I understand what you are doing. The priming sugar goes in while you are racking to your bottling bucket and then you get it in the bottles and capped as soon as you can meaning right then.

I use 2 cups of water and 1 ounce of sugar per gallon of beer. You can use less water but it is what I have always done

So what I plan to do is make a sugar solution by boiling a sucrose and water solution (not sure on the amounts) and adding it to a secondary bucket with my fermented brew, sealing it and leaving it at 18-22 degrees for aboiut a fortnight, then bottle it and refridgerate for 48 hours. Is this right? Any obvious no no's?

thankyou

No not right. Use the calculator in the previous post. Boil the sugar solution for about 10 minutes. (about 2 cups of water and the amount and type of sugar for the beer style) Put the priming solution in the bucket and siphon in the wort so that it swirls and mixes.

Now the difference. Fill the bottles now and cap them. Store the bottles in a dark place at about 70 degrees F for 3 weeks. Chill one for a day or 2 and try it. If it has not fully carbonated wait another week. etc. Some will carbonate fast and others can take quite a while.

Latest posts

Back