Resurrection of 777

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snakebone is hosting a group brew this Sunday (3/25). He, rdwj, FermentEd, flippindiscs and I are brewing different beers. I am doing this one.

I'm using Schreier American 2-row instead of MO and rye malt instead of flaked, but everything else is to the letter! Really looking forward to it!
:mug:

If I didn't just brew a rye IPA I would definately do this one. Guess this will just have to be on my "to brew list".

Brewed it last Sunday. Hit my mash temp dead on the numbers @ 149oF. SG came up short at 1.064, but I'm fine with that. I ended up with just a bit over 5 gal. With the dry hop addition, it will probably be right there.

I had to use a blow-off tube for the first 24 hours. I'll probably rack it to secondary, dry hop and taste a sample tomorrow night.

I brewed this last Sunday. Mashed a little higher at 150° SG:= 1.068. I pitched a 1 qt. starter of WLP007 and had a rockin' fermentation within 6 hrs, still bubbling this morning. I'll be bringing this out to Denver and can't wait to compare it with the others.

This is really cool, having everybody brewing this same beer. I can't wait to see how they all turn out. I had planned to have already brewed this, but it looks like it will be Monday at best.

I still plan on brewing this, but it will be at least a week or so. I still need to get my lager out of the fermentation fridge. Better yet, I need another fridge just dedicated to lagering.

This will be my next brew- my next open weekend for brewing is April 22nd, though, so it will have to wait until then. That is OK, I need to order some of the hops as my LHBS doesn't carry them.

I tried my OG sample of this last night and, boy, is it going to turn out good! Nicely balanced hop/malt character with the hops predominate, but not overpowering. I can't quite put it into words, it just had a nice, pleasing, clean profile. I finished the entire sample and was ready for more!

This will rock once the dry hop proceess is completed. I think this will be a great summer ale and end up a 'keeper' recipe!

RichBrewer said:
I went ahead and stickied this. Lots of interest and now I can find it easier. :mug:

Very cool. Another mod on the job! I salute you and drink a brew in your honor. It is a tough job, but somebody has to do it!:rockin:

you have a recipe if we are not doing all grain, im in if you got one

OK BP, does this look close enough for a PM recipe? I used rye malt and flaked and wyeast 1056 cause thats what I have on hand.

Also, Since I have never Dry hopped anything, someone give me the quick tutorial on how to do it.:eek:

777 IPA
American IPA

Type: Partial Mash
Date: 3/30/2007
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Pirate Ale
Boil Size: 5.72 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 77.8 %
1.00 lb Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 11.1 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.6 %
0.50 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 5.6 %
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.00%] (60 min) Hops 23.1 IBU
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.00%] (40 min) Hops 20.3 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [10.00%] (20 min) Hops 9.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.80%] (60 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.80%] (10 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [10.00%] (0 min) Hops -
2.00 oz Glacier [5.60%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter 700 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.071 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.1 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.6 %
Bitterness: 64.9 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 9.2 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 2.00 lb
Sparge Water: 5.34 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 2.50 qt of water at 159.1 F 148.0 F 75 min

Pirate Ale said:
... Also, Since I have never Dry hopped anything, someone give me the quick tutorial on how to do it...

It's easy. When you x'fer to secondary, add the hops.

If you're using pellet hops, then just toss them in. I use whole hops and it takes a little more work, but not much. I sanitize a funnel and a spoon that has a long handle that is small enough in diameter to fit down the throat of the funnel. I use a wooden spoon and it works great for this. I add the hops a little at a time and stuff them down the funnel and into the secondary with the spoon.

Some people steam the hops in the name of sanitation, but IMHO, that's a waste of time at this stage. The beer has enough alcohol to fight infection.

Pirate Ale said:
OK BP, does this look close enough for a PM recipe? I used rye malt and flaked and wyeast 1056 cause thats what I have on hand.

Also, Since I have never Dry hopped anything, someone give me the quick tutorial on how to do it.:eek:

777 IPA
American IPA

Type: Partial Mash
Date: 3/30/2007
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Pirate Ale
Boil Size: 5.72 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 77.8 %
1.00 lb Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 11.1 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.6 %
0.50 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 5.6 %
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.00%] (60 min) Hops 23.1 IBU
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.00%] (40 min) Hops 20.3 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [10.00%] (20 min) Hops 9.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.80%] (60 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.80%] (10 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [10.00%] (0 min) Hops -
2.00 oz Glacier [5.60%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter 700 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.071 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.1 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.6 %
Bitterness: 64.9 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 9.2 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 2.00 lb
Sparge Water: 5.34 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 2.50 qt of water at 159.1 F 148.0 F 75 min

That looks really close to me. Great job.

Rhoobarb said:
Some people steam the hops in the name of sanitation, but IMHO, that's a waste of time at this stage. The beer has enough alcohol to fight infection.

...And hops are sanitary pretty from the bag.

No worries on adding them post boil!

No Columbus at the HBS; sold their last of them yesterday. So, I can sub in either Magnum, Simcoe, or Northern Brewer, or I should have enough Amarillo and Cascade to use those for bittering.

Recommendations?

I think im going to try this for my First all grain brew. Should be about 3 weeks though until im ready.

Has anybody drank any of this yet? I see people have brewed it but no comments on the taste.

Made up 5 gal of 1.070 RyeIPA today!

Totally Full MLT. After adding water for mashout.

High tech sparge system.

I'm using WL 009 Austrialian Ale yeast cake, so I'm a bit off on the theme of "7", but it's similar to an English strain. Super flocculant. This should be a good one.

the_bird said:
No Columbus at the HBS; sold their last of them yesterday. So, I can sub in either Magnum, Simcoe, or Northern Brewer, or I should have enough Amarillo and Cascade to use those for bittering.

Recommendations?

IMHO, I'd sub Northern Brewer. Cascade or Amarillo would be my second choices.

I'm leaning towards the Magnum for bittering (for just some clean bitterness) and the Simcoe for dryhopping... hoping to hear others' thoughts, espection the Pastor-Master.

the_bird said:
I'm leaning towards the Magnum for bittering (for just some clean bitterness)

I have found that while economical, the high AA varieties can lead to a harsh bitterness. I'm tending towards more volume of a lower AA content hop for the same IBUs, these days. It seems to be that a much smoother bitterness is attained doing so.

Cheyco Libre said:
I have found that while economical, the high AA varieties can lead to a harsh bitterness. I'm tending towards more volume of a lower AA content hop for the same IBUs, these days. It seems to be that a much smoother bitterness is attained doing so.
:off:
Sounds like some dogfish products. Sometimes i dig that harsh bitterness, sometimes i don't. I agree with you here, a good kettle hop does the trick with a range from 4.4 to 9 depending on the specific hop.

Favorite kettle hops:

Bullion
Cluster
Fuggles
Northern Brewer
Perle
Tettnanger

Saaz exception for lagers having a wicked low aa

Alright, so I just bought a pound of Columbus on Northern Brewer for $7 (along with four kegs for $60 :D), so I'm going to wait until they get here to brew this. Didn't have any rice hulls, either, so I've got some of those coming too.

Rice hulls, wtf for? Even with the rye it should flow pretty well. Mine did.
Bird, you're batchsparging, no?

Glad to hear kegs are on the way!

OK mine is in the primary. OG was only 1.055, but that most likly because it was my first All-Grain and the efficeancy was a little low. Oh well.

Glad you guys got this on track, seems like it going over well.

Thanks, BP
fing10.gif

I'm racking mine to secondary right now- and it tastes good already. I still have to dry hop next week, but it's got a great flavor now. It finished at 1.006. I had to use nottingham yeast (long story with the yeast).

Yooper Chick said:
I'm racking mine to secondary right now- and it tastes good already. I still have to dry hop next week, but it's got a great flavor now. It finished at 1.006. I had to use nottingham yeast (long story with the yeast).

1.006! Way to go. That should bring on a nice mellow.:ban:

Back