Putting wort into yeast slant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atticmonkey

Reaction score
I read in a few places about when it comes time to make a starter from a yeast slant that you can put sterile wort into your slant tube, swirl it around and pour it into your starter. Does anybody here do that? If so will that slant regrow itself or is it spent after that? Thanks for the advice.

I don't do it this way, but IMO the nutrient in the agar is gone. The yeast use it all up. I'm sure you could reinoculate a new slant from an old slant that was swirled. But I think contamination is a risk this way.

FWIW yeast culturing owns!!!!!!!!!:rockin:

What I do is add a few ml of wort to the slant, scrape the yeast from the surface of the gel and let it sit for a day. Then dump that into about 50 ml of wort and step it up from there. The old slant will grow yeast again, but I've never used it for fear of contamination.

do you guys autoclave the equipment used to transfer the beer into the vial? Could i just autoclave some extra vials with 10 ml of wort and pour close to a flame (flaming cap of course)

Yeah thats actually what I do. I will make up usally 120ml of starter wort. Divide it up into 12-10ml vials and autoclave like normal.

I read in a few places about when it comes time to make a starter from a yeast slant that you can put sterile wort into your slant tube, swirl it around and pour it into your starter. Does anybody here do that? If so will that slant regrow itself or is it spent after that? Thanks for the advice.
That's the way I do it. I pour about 5ml of wort ontop of the slant and gently scrape off the yeast with an inoculation loop, if I do it well there is no yeast left on the slant so it's discarded.

However, some people use an inoculation loop to select only a small amount of yeast from the slant, and add that to a very small amount of wort. That way they don't 'use up' the slant and can continue to reuse the same slant for a long period of time (up to 4 years in some cases), however it does take an extra step when making the starter.

However, some people use an inoculation loop to select only a small amount of yeast from the slant, and add that to a very small amount of wort. That way they don't 'use up' the slant and can continue to reuse the same slant for a long period of time (up to 4 years in some cases), however it does take an extra step when making the starter.

I am in this crowd. I keep one slant and one water culture for each of my strains. The water doesn't get touched until I need to make a new slant (if its gone brown or 6 months).

You only need a tiny amount of yeast off the slant, and possibly an extra day to use this method. My first addition is to 10 ml in a vial sealed without oxygen, and I give it 24 hours before stepping up.

Back