Simple sparge arm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The simplest sparge arm I have ever made involved my arm, holding a hose, that dumped onto a perforated pie tin.

the rest, are too gimmicky for my taste.

Or if you prefer, here's a gimmicky one that I built for about $5 using cpvc. I use it for the recirculation return, as a sparge arm and for the return again when whirlpool chilling with a pump. It's fully adjustable vertically for various batch sizes:

3231581575_3bd5192c1e.jpg

Shown here testing it intially with only water:

3489426344_7585071998.jpg

And this for the recirculation return while mashing:

3489426438_a81e2cfdbb.jpg

A close up of the 90's attached to the ends. These are not glued on and can be rotated as desired for the swirl effect:

3488613479_acd1e6029c.jpg

It's cheap, effective and very easy to build. Works for me.

I built my manifold and sparge arm out of cpvc. Both in 45 mins for less than $20. Its a simple bar with holes drilled into and the ends capped. Used it last night for the first time. I was able to walk away for an hour or so.

Like the tin plate and aluminum foil guys above, I go simple too... plastic pitcher for the hot liquor and a wooden spoon to diffuse it over. My MLT is big enough to hold all of my sparge water, so once I start runoff, I begin putting the sparge on top of the grain bed. Get it all in in 10 minutes or less and don't have to worry about it.

This is how I do it:

photo 3 by brewerJP

Most would probably call this overkill but it works well for me. It's a Spiraljet spray nozzle that has 360 degree coverage and works well with the March pumps. Has a very gentle spray.

I use a barb on the inside at the top and hook up a silicone tube and float it on the surface of the mash. Make it long enough and it holds against the side when pumping wort.

Back