Another reason to hate Budweiser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, passing on the Bass and the Kirin is gonna hurt!!!!! I guess it's gonna be Newcastle when I go out, but I'll pony up and flip the bird at AB.

I too only buy craft brew, and usually MI beer unless there is something else I've heard of on here that sounds good.

I was happy to buy an Arcadia sampler pack the other day. Went back to Meijers and they didn't have any more. I hope it's a temp. thing!

Personally I don't understand all this hate towards Inbev and Walmart, and I think someone mentioned the oil companies too.

Everyone supports small business, but hates big business. It's like the American dream has a cap on it, and once you exceed that cap everyone starts hating you.

Personally I don't understand all this hate towards Inbev and Walmart, and I think someone mentioned the oil companies too.

Everyone supports small business, but hates big business. It's like the American dream has a cap on it, and once you exceed that cap everyone starts hating you.

I think we are not criticizing the scale of their business but the ethics that they hold to earn their dollars.

Lets talk about AB suing DFH for a trademark infringement on Chicory Stout and Punkin.
Or the fact that until Inbev's bean counters stopped the practice this January, AB gave away free beer at their SeaWorld holdings somehow skirting the 3-tier laws and tied houses.

I'm looking for the link, but apparently in TX the exemption extends to establishments above sea level where large aquatic mammals are present.

What small business would be able to do that?

What small business would be able to do that?

The key word there is able. Anyone who is able to get around a stupid law is going to. Wouldn't you? By using the word able instead of would you're suggesting anyone in there position would do the same.

Sounds like the problem here is the government not the business. The government passes a stupid law, and then passes an exemption to the law for a business that the government favors.

No I am not.

Find me a homebrewer that would sue Sam Calagione. I am unable.

By way of example: cf. Collaboration Not Litigation.

averycol.jpg

The key word there is able. Anyone who is able to get around a stupid law is going to. Wouldn't you? By using the word able instead of would you're suggesting anyone in there position would do the same.

Sounds like the problem here is the government not the business. The government passes a stupid law, and then passes an exemption to the law for a business that the government favors.

Anyone with enough money can get stupid laws passed just for them and exempts all others, by spending stupid amounts of money that favors a particular person in government.

Fixed that for you. ;)

+1

Government is the cause and means of passing dumb laws. When people try to sell the idea of a "partnership" between business and government (cough LBJ) they really mean favors for this business or that. Whatever a business does, dumb government is the link in the chain that's broken.

+1

Government is the cause and means of passing dumb laws. When people try to sell the idea of a "partnership" between business and government (cough LBJ) they really mean favors for this business or that. Whatever a business does, dumb government is the link in the chain that's broken.

Nope, government is part of the problem, but not the cause. The lobbyists that speak for InBev/AB and Miller-Coors don't have the best interests of the craft breweries in mind. Those lobbyists are effective because of the large sums of money that InBev/AB and Miller-Coors can throw around, which in turn greases the pockets of many politicians. Those companies keep the stupid laws around because they can exploit loop holes. Craft and microbreweries are UNABLE to do that, InBev/AB and Miller-Coors know this, take advantage of this, and use it to keep the small breweries down.

Nope, government is part of the problem, but not the cause. The lobbyists that speak for InBev/AB and Miller-Coors don't have the best interests of the craft breweries in mind. Those lobbyists are effective because of the large sums of money that InBev/AB and Miller-Coors can throw around, which in turn greases the pockets of many politicians. Those companies keep the stupid laws around because they can exploit loop holes. Craft and microbreweries are UNABLE to do that, InBev/AB and Miller-Coors know this, take advantage of this, and use it to keep the small breweries down.

If government didn't have the power to make these stupid laws then no business would bother paying for lobbyists to go lobby them.

Because government decides to regulate every little thing a business does, businesses send lobbyists into government to make sure laws are passed that are in that particular business favor.

A company will always do whats in it's best interest, just like every individual does what in his best interest. This isn't a problem in a free market where government stays out of the way, but in out current system where government can use force to punish certain companies, and subsidies to support others, it results in the lobbyists you complain about.

Take away that power from the government, and all the lobbyists would disappear. Money spent on lobbyists could then be spent on something more useful like R&D. Failing companies would then be allowed to fail, and create room for newer successful companies to take their place.

The problem is government it has way too much power, and people not being pissed off enough about it.

A lot of people don't even know what a free market is anymore. I can't really blame them we havnt had one in this country since beginning of the 20th century.

Ok, this is getting to braniac for me.

I'm just not going to give AB/Inver and Miller/Coors any of my money and encourage others to do the same. For those of you that will continue to do so while you completely overhaul the political, legal and economic milieu to solve this problem, I wish you good luck. Please let me know when this bloodless (assuming you are not a armed rebellion type) coup takes place and I will be way ahead of you drinking fine beer.

Latest posts

Back