Time to build a Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panzermann

Reaction score
Ok, I have a 50qt (12.5g) Igloo cooler that has never been used besides throwing random stuff in and sitting in storage. It is in perfect condition.

DSCN1903.jpg

DSCN1902.jpg

DSCN1904.jpg

Ok, now my question is if I should follow the braid method, go get the washer braid, push the hose out and go with that or what about this I stumbled across on Amazon:

Learn To Brew: Picnic Cooler/Mash Tun Conversion Kit

Not sure about that one?

I got my 15.5g SS Keg worked on and cannot wait to do my first full boil. :rockin:

I linked that same amazon link to a thread I responded to a while back but not takers. The amazon one looks as if it is using the valve off a bottling bucket, which would work, but how are they connecting the cpvc manifold to it? If I could use bottling bucket valve vs a SS valve that is quite a bit of price difference, IF I could figure out all the connections. :mug:

sorry to go OT but :off:
thanks for that site it has a handy hop flavor chart as well as a malt characteristics chart hat will help me allot

The braid will work fine if batch sparging. The Amazon one looks like it was designed for fly sparging where the design is crucial to avoid too much channeling and may not fit your particular cooler.

GT

braid would be fine if you are planning to batch sparge. I hope the guy doesn't use the manifold the way he has it pictured .. Holes down not up

FWIW, I have the same cooler for a mash tun. Been using it for countless brews. I also use a manifold very similar to the one linked in the picture. Mine is CPVC. I made it myself and it was fun and easy to make. Has slits instead of holes. And, yes, holes (or slits in my case) down! I batch sparge.

The only thing I would warn you about - and this is very minor - is that plastic strap connecting the cooler body to the lid will eventually wear away and snap in two. I replaced mine with a length of copper wire. S/S braid would work as well.

I just got in from Lowe's where I was for 1hr45m and this has been nothing more than a goddamn ****ing cluster****!

I am about goddamn ready to just buy one of these things already put together. This part list does not work. 3/4" washers to go over a 1/2" Pipe Nipple? I even had the damn Lowe's guys helping me and could not figure it out...

I got $29 worth of **** here....

(1) 1/2" x 4" Galvanized Steel Pipe Nipple
(2) 1/2" Coupling
(3) 1/2" Ball Valve
(4) 1" x 3/4" ID 0-Ring (no 3/4" x 3/4" ID)
(5) 5ft pc of 3/4" PVC Pipe
(6) Hacksaw to cut the PVC
(7) 4ft Washing Machine Connector

So no washers so I guess I will just piece this ****er together the best I can??? I just cannot see why this **** cannot be simple. wtf?

Ah welcome to the world of plumbing where a 1/4" pipe needs a 1/2" hole...

The measurements are internal so when looking for washers etc you have to measure the outside diam. Usually a 1/4" wider. Ie 1/2" pipe will need a 3/4" washer or hole.

then there are all the other plumbing standards (compression fitting for one) that use a diff system. I believe plumber invented them all to keep us confused so you'll call them in at $120/hr.

It really is a pain to put it together the first time.

If you need guidance just pm or email me and I'll be glad to advise you.

Well Jesus H Christ, where have you been? :mad:

I could have just purchased this **** all at one time instead standing around like a goddamn moron with 2 Lowe's guys walking the floor 3,000x

(1) 1/2" x 4" Galvanized Steel Pipe Nipple

Just as an FYI I wouldn't use the galvanized nipple for your bulkhead. It will start to rust very quickly with the acidity of the wort. I'd recommend brass or S/S if you have the cash. Home Depot or Lowes should have brass pipe nipples in the small plumbing repair part section. I picked mine up there when I was building my MLT.

Just as an FYI I wouldn't use the galvanized nipple for your bulkhead. It will start to rust very quickly with the acidity of the wort. I'd recommend brass or S/S if you have the cash. Home Depot or Lowes should have brass pipe nipples in the small plumbing repair part section. I picked mine up there when I was building my MLT.

Yeah, i'm sure I ****ed that up too. Like I said..."Cluster ****"

I found a lot better selection of nice ss washers at Ace than at my local Lowes.

The big SS washers you need are at Autozone or a similar auto parts store. You won't find washers big enough at the blue or orange stores. ;) Be sure to ask for big fender washers, at mine they were behind the counter.

I found big enough washers at Lowe's when i built my MLT.

Granted it took me a good 20 minutes to find them. They were in that drawer system where they keep all the fasteners. Look in the stainless steel one. They are in there, somewhere...

Home | Fastenal

your saving grace. I could not find what i needed and theyhad them readily available and CHEAP! See if they have a location by you...

Well Jesus H Christ, where have you been? :mad:

I could have just purchased this **** all at one time instead standing around like a goddamn moron with 2 Lowe's guys walking the floor 3,000x

That's no joke...I put my first MLT together with parts from Home Depot, but now that I have this compulsion to put a spigot on each and every vessel I lay eyes on, Allen's kits save me a lot of time, aggravation and gas money! They don't cost much more than piecing them together yourself, and they usually arrive two days after I've ordered.

i recall my post :(

i did not see that our resident fittings company had posted. please support one of our own before supporting another company.

I linked that same amazon link to a thread I responded to a while back but not takers. The amazon one looks as if it is using the valve off a bottling bucket, which would work, but how are they connecting the cpvc manifold to it? If I could use bottling bucket valve vs a SS valve that is quite a bit of price difference, IF I could figure out all the connections. :mug:

I used that for quite a few batches....until my cooler fell apart in fact.

Yes, the spigot is the standard 3.00 Italian Spigot shipped on bottling buckets..........it threads straight into the CPVC, and you use a gasket on either side.

It works (dang decently too).....but the problem is, you cut out the ouside of the cooler, and the spigot is inset......so you are only mounted against the inside wall of the cooler.....not enough strength IMHO. Also, the plastic spigot does not hold up over time to the heat, and it's very easy to overtighten. I replaced the spigot a couple of times. You could get a 3 inch lenght of PVC and use as a bulkhead fitting to alleviate that......but I never got around to doing it.

I'm in the process of building another one......currently my thoughts are that I'm going to build a hybrid braid/manifold combination utilizing copper tubing in sections seperated by the braid. This will be to cover more of the cooler bottom than a simple braid can cover.....thus being acceptable for fly sparging........while taking advantage of the greater area afforded by the braid over traditional drilled or slotted tubing.

For a ball valve, lowes has these suprisingly well made brass ball valves labeled as "gas fittings". Instead of the big handle on top, it's a much smaller handle.......and the price is right........6.00 bucks.

My big hang up is.......I can't find a 10 gal cooler to save my life, and I definitely want to go with round instead of rectangle this time. May go with the square "ice cube" style also, it looks promising. I'm also torn between just going the lazy route and buying a keweler kitz ball valve/conversion and a Bazooka........instead of the hassle I know I'll have spending hours at the hardware store matching up fittings, tubing, washers, gaskets, etc. I'd rather spend the extra 10 bucks and just brew;-)

Just thought I would throw in that I feel your pain. I'll avoid naming stores so I'll just use colors. The blue store (in my city) has employees that are really not interested in helping. You ask for help and they pretty much just wave you off to another section. I found many of the items I needed but not all. I also had a terrible time actually finding a 10 gallon rubbermaid water cooler. I went to three sports stores, and two different "blue" stores.

Enter the orange store. I go in, walk to hardware area find every last missing piece and decide I would try and find the rubbermaid cooler. Guy working there sees me just kind of walking and actually asks me what I'm looking for. 5 minutes later I have my ten gallon rubbermaid cooler and all the missing parts. But I understand the profanity completely. Good luck. :mug:

Back