Could I add more hops? Would it fix it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
So I brewed a wheat beer with #3068 and I thought I kept it at around 62. Anyways, TONS of banana and it is cloyingly sweet. OG was hit per the recipe @ 1.054 and FG was hit at 1.012.
Anyways, the homebrew shop I bought my ingredients from didn't keep the freshest stuff and I am wondering if possibly the hops weren't very fresh and therefore not produced enough bittering to balance the sweetness or I didn't put in enough for bittering? I don't have a scale yet so I eyeballed it.
I pretty new at this so I'm just trying to figure out what went wrong because while I have never made this recipe, I'm pretty sure this is WAY too sweet.
The hops called for and used were Tettnag at around 4.75%.
If I threw in some extra hops now into the keg for a week how would it change things? Just throw off a sweet hoppy flavor?
Anyways, thanks!

3068 is supposed to have lots of banana, isn't it? Isn't that a German hefeweizen yeast?

Yes but it is OVERKILL by far.. I like german hefs and like the banana flavor in it.. this is.... just banana bomb imo AND really sweat.

Recipe was taken from a 5g batch and converted to a 7.5g via beersmith. 7.5g what I followed was this:
8.9lb German Wheat malt
5.2lb German pilsner 2-row
.75lb munich malt
1oz Tettnang 60min
.35 oz Tettnang 15min

Mashed at 153, boiled for 60min.
Let wort cool to around 70, aerate and pitched yeast, let sit around that temp for about 4-5 hours then dropped to around 62 and let it Ferment at 62-63 per directions of the recipe I was following.

Dry hopping won't give you much bitterness. I guess you could try boiling some hops for an hour. The question is (I'm clueless here): How much hops would you need to put into a small amount of water (1/2 gallon maybe?) to get the IBUs you want. I'm sure one of the masters around here has been there and tried that at least once.

Or brew another batch with twice the hops and blend them in the bottling bucket.

The OP had the munich at 5% of the grain which is what I scaled it up to. Still think the extra sweetness probably came from there and nothing to do with hops freshness? I have no idea, I'm just trying to figure out what I did wrong so I don't do it again next time.
I saw that one poster actually put "I skip the munich completely...".... Maybe that's why?

That recipe looks fine for a hefeweizen. I wonder if the AAUs on the bittering hops were low, and didn't give you enough IBUs to balance the malt sweetness. An ounce of tettnanger isn't much to begin with, but if the hops were particularly low in AAUs, it could definitely be too sweet.

1.012 is pretty dry. As far as the banana, that will actually mellow out quite a bit with a little aging. I would just give it some time. Wheats should be very low IBU

The OP had the munich at 5% of the grain which is what I scaled it up to. Still think the extra sweetness probably came from there and nothing to do with hops freshness? I have no idea, I'm just trying to figure out what I did wrong so I don't do it again next time.
I saw that one poster actually put "I skip the munich completely...".... Maybe that's why?

No, the hops are only harvested once a year anyway. So, unless they were unpackaged and left at room temperature, or really really really old, they would be the same as my hops. But the alpha acid % should be on the package. And that's the important thing. And without a scale, maybe you shorted the hops?

What would it taste like if I added some into the keg in a hop bag... dry hopped it a few days? Just out of curiosity.

What would it taste like if I added some into the keg in a hop bag... dry hopped it a few days? Just out of curiosity.

Weird. It'd be a too sweet banana hefe with hops flavor. Hops flavor and/or aroma is out of place in a hefeweizen and would compete with the banana and cloves that are the trademark of a hefeweizen.

Keep in mind that carbing changes the level of perceived sweetness in a beer! The carbonic acid from carbonation gives a perception of less sweetness. That may be enough to make the beer very drinkable!

So up the carbonation that I would normally carb a hef at?
Thanks everyone for the info, I appreciate it

Latest posts

Back