nasty smell and taste - what are my chances?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbuzz

Reaction score
I recently brewed an experimental extract IPA steeping with crystal 60 and a little bit of biscuit...here was the hop schedule:

.5 oz Warrior prior to boil but after steeping grains were removed...trying to simulate a FWH
.25 Simcoe at 60 min
.25 Warrior at 20 min
.5 Centennial and .5 Simcoe at 10 min
.5 Cascade and .25 Centennial at 5 min
Planning on DHing w/ .5 Cascade, .25 Centennial and .25 Warrior

I know this all seems weird, but I was playing around with some leftover hops. I wasn't able to hold back very much of the trub when transferring to the primary.

Pitched WLP051 Yeast.

For whatever reason, it took 3 days to get going...and after it started my airlock was giving off some foul smells...and I mean foul!!

Took a sample today and as soon as I lifted the lid off the bucket, the smell hit me right in the face...my gravity is where I need it to be at 1.015, but it smells and tastes terrible.

I'm wondering if the beer got infected during those 3 days of inactivity?? Or maybe all that trub sitting in there turned the smell and taste bad?? There was a ton of debris in the sample I took. I don't see any signs of infection, just the wretched smell...I wish I could somehow post this smell for you guys...doesn't smell like any beer I've ever had.

I'm not gonna dump it or anything, I know better than that...I just want to know what my chances are of getting something good out of this...should I not even waste my hops on dry hopping?

I've made beers withe wlp051 it's smelly stuff when it ferments....don't worry everything is fine. I made a similar thread when I fermented with it the first time... Everything turned out And it was good beer

I've made beers withe wlp051 it's smelly stuff when it ferments....don't worry everything is fine. I made a similar thread when I fermented with it the first time... Everything turned out And it was good beer

Man, that's great news...cause I've heard such good things about it...especially for an ipa...

Did it take yours 3 days to start fermenting?

Back