Heading to Philly, need recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireBrewer

Assistant Brewer
Reaction score
We're heading to Philly on Tuesday to visit the Academy of Natural Sciences. Takin' the kids and grandparents to see the dinosaur exhibit and I'm looking for suggestions on a brewpub/restaurant to visit afterward for a pint and something to eat. Was sad to learn that Ludwig's Garten had closed. :(

Thanks!

I don't know much about Philly. Only been there a few times, but I've been to Monk's twice and it's pretty awesome. I'll let the Philly people correct me.

Is'nt the Troegs brewery there? Had their triple belg the other day and was amazed. I'm going to Philly in a couple of weeks and I'm planning on making a stop.

Just returned from Philly. Monk's Cafe was great, especially if you like Belgians. It's tiny and I'm not sure I would bring kids there. Sort of on the eclectic side but phenomenal.

The South Philadelphia Tap Room has a small but good selection, also, and might be more kid friendly. Those are the only two places I hit, thus my only two suggestions. Other than have fun, I mean.

Troegs isn't in Philly -- it's in Harrisburg.

In Philly, besides Monks, there's also Eulogy Belgian Tavern which has (not surprisingly) a large selection of belgian bottles...

I highly recommend Nodding Head brewpub too... they make some pretty good beers. It's been a while since I lived in Philly, so I can't remember anything remarkable (good or bad) about their food, but I know I ate dinner there many times so it must have been decent.

Although Philly is only a 20 minute ride for me and I used the work there I rarely ever go there. I am not one for congestion. However, I did many years ago visit the Manayunk brewery in Manayunk and it was ok. Looks like it is also a restaurant now. Manayunk is just about a 10 minute ride outside the city. About 10 years ago they were trying hard to make the town into a tourist attraction with shops and stuff along the main street right where the brewery is. We spent the day walking through the shops and had a good time.

Nodding Head and Eulogy are excellent, as is Yards in Port Richmond but not really close to the Logan Circle area where the Academy is. Philly blocks are short, though. I will disown you if you don't stop by the Reading Terminal Market. ;)

Pat's Cheesesteaks and Termini's are mandatory. Period.

Although Philly is only a 20 minute ride for me and I used the work there I rarely ever go there. I am not one for congestion. However, I did many years ago visit the Manayunk brewery in Manayunk and it was ok. Looks like it is also a restaurant now. Manayunk is just about a 10 minute ride outside the city. About 10 years ago they were trying hard to make the town into a tourist attraction with shops and stuff along the main street right where the brewery is. We spent the day walking through the shops and had a good time.

i was just thinking about the manayunk brewpub and was gonna come back to this thread and mention it. it's a little nicer in the summer when you can sit outside overlooking the lovely schuylkill river, but it's still worth checking out -- they make good beers.

Pat's and Genos are fine....

....for the tourists. :D

I ain't no bloody tourist! ;)

I grew up just across the river in Mt. Laurel - and as much family as I have in Philly, it was practically my hometown! I spent just about every weekend in Port Richmond with the immigrant side of this Polack's family.

Pat's and Genos are fine....

....for the tourists. :D

Agreed. I have lived in SJ all my life and worked there for 15. I could almost see the city from my parents house who were originally from Philly but I don't like those cheese wiz steaks and know very few people who do. Too salty for one thing. It is all a matter of taste but I prefer a cheese steak from any pizzeria in the suburbs with a good American cheese. I hate it when visitors to the area are told to go to Pat's and Geno's for their first and maybe only taste of a cheese steak. But I guess if you want to go with what are apparently the popular places then go.
I don't know if the Pat's in SJ here are associated with the city Pat's but I think the ones here locally are expensive, small portions and not too good taste wise.
Sorry if this became a sandwich thing but I don't know of any other places in Philly except the Manayunk Brewpub.

****, I don't care, I'm taking notes! ;)

Thanks for the suggestions, all!

Several of my co-workers have lived in the city all their lives and put Jim's Steaks above Pat's and Geno's for what that is worth. Tony Luke's is also popular with them.

Victory is my top recommendation. If you are taking the PA TPK or any route really Victory should only be 10 mins out of your way. From Hanover it is probably half way to Philly. Victory is very kid friendly. For me the craft beer scene in Philly is a bit lacking. There are a few good Irish pubs scattered throughout the city that are worth checking out.

We're heading to Philly on Tuesday to visit the Academy of Natural Sciences. Takin' the kids and grandparents to see the dinosaur exhibit and I'm looking for suggestions on a brewpub/restaurant to visit afterward for a pint and something to eat. Was sad to learn that Ludwig's Garten had closed. :(

Thanks!

So where did you wind up going??

Victory is my top recommendation.

I LOVE Victory. :D Been a while since I've been there, not since they've remodeled.

So where did you wind up going??

*sigh* The trip was full of FAIL, beer-wise. Didn't get there until shortly after noon, took me 30 mins to find a parking spot and there wasn't much within walking distance (that I knew of anyway), so we ate a late lunch about a block away---but I still managed to have a decent brew with lunch, even though it wasn't a brewpub/beer bar. Wasn't paying so I wasn't complaining. Wanted to stop at Victory on the way home but it just didn't pan out. :(

BUT...I'm taking the wife back there very soon (possibly next week), just us two. She's a huge history buff and studies the Revolutionary War a lot, so that'll put us back in the area and I'm sure I'll be able to persuade her to hit Victory, etc. afterward.

So I certainly do appreciate the suggestions and information, even if it didn't work out this time. :( Sometimes you gotta take a knee and prove that you can go somewhere that doesn't directly involve beer, even just once. ;)

Thanks again.

Thanks. Thought about that too, never been there. She does want to check out Valley Forge... :)

I heard Valley Forge is lame compared to Gettysburg. I have never been to Gettysburg but I have been to Valley Forge many times so I am guessing it is probably true.

I heard Valley Forge is lame compared to Gettysburg. I have never been to Gettysburg but I have been to Valley Forge many times so I am guessing it is probably true.

Yeah, but you're talking about two distinctive time periods in American history and historical sites associated with those time periods. I've not been to Valley Forge in a number of years, but always found it to be a nice way to spend an afternoon walking the grounds.

Definitely apples and oranges. But aside from the historical differences, Gettysburg is only 30 mins from here and I've been to ABC---oh, a few times. ;) :rockin:

0323091441a.jpg

Back