Taking a break from brewing until I have a mill...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daholl01

Reaction score
That being said I do already have 15 gallons fermenting or conditioning, as well as another 3-4 drinkable gallons of homebrew right now.

I have done 7 AG brews now and really feel comfortable in my technique, however my efficiency has not been very good (mid 60s). This leads me to believe that the crush from the HBS that I have been ordering (MoreBeer) is not adequate, and also inconsistent. I have been using my pre-boil efficiency to calculate a DME addition to get closer to my OG which has worked, depending on how my efficiency has been. I am thinking a mill will allow me to not only jump my efficiency to 75-80% but also give me consistent results.

My first AG brew was 55%, then before I had my own mill consistently hit 65% just like you.

Its always great to get higher eff and save some bucks on grain and such. When you break it down however its not more then $5 savings per 10% of eff you get. Just make sure you adjust your recipe for the efficency and you will be fine. I wouldn't stop brewing if you start to run out of beer before you get your mill. Even with your mill you might get low eff at first until you get your crush figured out.

Either way, brew on!

Yeah well another reason why I am going to take a little break is because I am moving in about two months and it just doesnt make sense to have carboys filled when I move.

Since I was a new AG brewer, I really wasnt sure if it was my process or the crush and now I have my process down I can eliminate that. Problem is, I dont have a local HBS and I preorder 3-4 batches worth at a time from MoreBeer to get free shipping, and the quantities I ordered were based on 75% efficiency (thinking my technique improvement was the problem with the efficiency).

I guess I just want to get to the point where I am getting a consistent higher efficiency, so maybe a mill with one trial and I should be set.

Back